Sign in to follow this  
CaptCWGAllen

Interesting XP11 Review here with home made cockpit

Hi Peter, yep indeed, I bet one of those costs more than it would to actually go through a PPL and get a plane :-)

Are you still doing your lessons? (Must be hard this time of year)

Hi Tony - no not at the moment; work, weather and distance are a killer at the moment.

If you have a look at this chap's YouTube site he shows you round the simulator. It's actually quite a Heath Robinson affair behind the scenes (said with the utmost respect for what he has achieved) - but just shows what can be done. He was clearly a P3D fan until XP11 came out which does make me smile - seems XP11 has set the world alight but XP10 had 90% of the wow factor. But that's fine - hopefully now it will get the recognition it deserves.

Saw a YouTube of an XP11 bird strike where a bird had come through the windscreen. Looked remarkably realistic based on my first hand experience - ha ha!

Trust all is well with you?

All is good here, thanks. Keeping busy and looking forward to a few days off over Christmas to finally try out my new computer. 

Indeed, it's an incredible setup, if I had one of those my family would never see me :-). In lots of the video it's easy to fool you into thinking it's real, and especially when he flies at dusk and night, it just looks incredible. XP11 has really attracted a huge amount of interest. It doesn't seem a big change for me over XP10, but I think the lighting is what has made it for new users as it looks much more realistic. After using XP11 I'm now also finding it harder to go back and use 10 because it just looks too bright and colourful. The important thing is that it still is giving lots of wow moments which don't come often, and it also seems to have impressed ORBX, I never thought I'd see the day they would announce a project for X-Plane

He has posted about it here (less than a week ago!):

http://www.avsim.com/topic/499679-immersive-three-window-home-cockpit-views-in-x-plane-11/

Saw a YouTube of an XP11 bird strike where a bird had come through the windscreen. Looked remarkably realistic based on my first hand experience - ha ha!

That's part of the Airfoillabs C172 1.70 update:

That's good to hear. Yes that is a very interesting move by Orbx - wonder what the will do first? Always fly XP11 now. Actually removed P3D so I can start adding Ortho to XP11 - Ortho4XP makes it soooo easy!