Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

performance drop in XP11 beta 3

I had such a blast with pb2 but all changed when I upgraded to pb3. The performance drop was around 30% across the board. I tried everything I can, even reinstalled ("updated") pb3 several times. No difference. 

This is really frustrating. Frankly, if pb3 is my first XP11 beta, I probably gave up on XP11 already.

The performance was particularly bad when flying my own Ortho4XP scenery with overlay. In pb2 I got over 20fps with GTX980, flying the same scenery in pb3 with Titan X Pascal I got 10-15fps. Though with Titan X I can set all graphics to max or min, there is virtually no difference in fps: it stays around 10-15. 

Using MSI Afterburner I can see while flying Ortho4XP scenery the GPU was running around 60%. Surprisingly, all four cores of my i2500k were only loaded on 50% average, not core is even close to 70%. Yet I got only 10-15fps, so where is the bottleneck? There must be sth wrong either in pb3 or its installation on my system. 

I know XP11 is in beta and the performance is not optimized it, but pb2 so impressive performance wise. I'm running the latest version of Nvidia driver, maybe a different version can do better?

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Try without orthos. Also, that's a weak cpu, dial back on world detail.

PB3 performance is stellar if you have realistic expectations.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

It's the same performance drop on default scenery too. My 2500k is running at 4.92GHz overclocked and it runs pb2 at max world details very well , fantastic performance.

I guess I'm the unlucky few who suffered a performance hit by updating to pb3. I'm just curious to figure out why.

I'd try a re-install and see if that fixes it and then maybe a fresh driver install with threaded optimisations turned to off in Nvidia CP.

Remember when changing settings within the graphics tab of the UI within XP11 it can sometimes take a restart of the sim to get a true reflection of the performance difference ~ I've noticed this myself when playing around with reflections slider where change in performance is after I start a new 'flight' after restarting the sim.

I did reinstallation a couple times already, by deleting everything in XP11 folder except Global Scenery and Custom Scenery folders and then running the installer. I also completely uninstalled Nividia driver and reinstalled only the core graphics driver. 

I turned of thread optimization in both Gobal and XP11 profile settings in control panel. If I turned TO on my fps got further halved to like 5-6 fps. 

By the way, pb3 demo apparently runs ok on my Clevo laptop 6700HQ@3.5GHz+ GTX1060 + Win10. Same settings as World Objects, Visual and Texture to max and Reflection to Low, it's the same 20fps as my desktop 2500k@4.9GHz + TitanXP+Win7. Only difference is that on desktop I can max out AA with no loss of fps. 

I guess sth in my desktop is limiting the pb3.  I may try to install an older Nvidia driver to see what happens. I forced couple "easy" settings in XP11 Nividia profile, like texture filtering to 16x etc. Maybe I should keep those as clean as possible.