Sign in to follow this  
jcpg

Updating PC Processor

Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my pc's processor and was thinking if I can do it without loosing my Fsx and all in it?  I got a Ssd and was told it would not be a problem to change processor. The Ssd should keep the sim. What about  Windows? How does that work?  I'm a very much doubtful on this.

The other question was what is the lowest processor I should not go below?  I5 ...so and so?  Advice here would be very much appreciated.

I have  a I3, 8gb ram.  My system is very stable but limited. I can run Pmdg for example, without problems but more than say,  2  weather or scenery addons frame rates drop close to 10. Please advise.

A million thanks in advance.

JGoncalves.

Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my pc's processor and was thinking if I can do it without loosing my Fsx and all in it?  I got a Ssd and was told it would not be a problem to change processor. The Ssd should keep the sim. What about  Windows? How does that work?  I'm a very much doubtful on this.

The other question was what is the lowest processor I should not go below?  I5 ...so and so?  Advice here would be very much appreciated.

I have  a I3, 8gb ram.  My system is very stable but limited. I can run Pmdg for example, without problems but more than say,  2  weather or scenery addons frame rates drop close to 10. Please advise.

A million thanks in advance.

JGoncalves.

I would wait a few weeks to see what AMD's Ryzen offers for the money. No matter what CPU you use if it's a genuine upgrade, you most likely will need a new motherboard. The new AMD CPU closely runs with Intels best at a fraction of the price or so it's supposed to do.  The amount of RAM you have over 4GB means nothing much with 32BIT. A 64bit OS helps but until You have 64bit applications you will not be able to take advantage of TB of Memory. XPlane !! is a 64bit app. I do not use it! I use a clean Steam Edition install and find it suitable and improved over the boxed edition of MS FSX. If I were you I would take a close look at Window 10, I find it a better OS than Win 7 for a multitude of reasons. You can get rid of a lot of the Win 10 fluff if you like.

The new CPU's and motherboard and other chipset and device driver are claimed to be capable when running Win 10 only? Intel's best is a $1,000.00 +- CPU I figure The Ryzen will be in the $500.00 area, again???  

After installing Win 10 and setting the BIOS to boot off my Sandisk 500Gb SSD It booted right up no problems what ever. After doing so I read about how Dovetail Recompiled FSX and came up with a much better setup , saved VAS memory and released memory and texture etc., when no longer needed. Higher FPS was the result for me. Makes it better with the PMDG 777-200-300 for sure.

Best

BaldyB

Thanks BaldyB.   I'll definitely consider your suggestion.  It looks a better way, yes in my case.

If you swap out CPU and/or motherboard, all that will happen is Windows notices the change and asks you to reactivate Windows. Automated, online, no issues. 

If you were to swap MB as well, then it's advisable to uninstall all old motherboard software first.

As Baldy said though, dependant on your budget, there's Ryzen on the way and Kaby Lake.

Yes  Martin,  but would I be able to keep my fsx  installation on the ssd and fly it, if I only replaced the processor?  Not the motherboard.  Or would I have to re-install everything again on the ssd?   I thought if I just changed  the processor, I could save fsx as it was and fly the sim with only the new processor replaced.

I actually wanted just a new processor to keep costs low.  

Would  that make sense?

Thanks indeed.

Yes, no problem at all. As I said, only thing that will happen is Windows will need reactivting.

Your flight sim and all software on your drive will be fine.

Make sure your MB and its BIOS are suitable for the CPU though.

Yes  Martin,  but would I be able to keep my fsx  installation on the ssd and fly it, if I only replaced the processor?  Not the motherboard.  Or would I have to re-install everything again on the ssd?   I thought if I just changed  the processor, I could save fsx as it was and fly the sim with only the new processor replaced.

I actually wanted just a new processor to keep costs low.  

Would  that make sense?

Thanks indeed.

It may make a small step in performance and I'm not saying you should not do so. Windows 10 is the first and only time I've had the power fail and after booting back up being brought right back to where I was. No data loss, no application knowledge or so it seemed. Right smack back where I was! On every other occasion if the main power grid went down had to restore the machine to an earlier date. etc. An CPU upgrade is a short term fix, if it makes sense to you than do it.

In order to run VR apps I had to upgrade my video card and my old 3.0 USB were not up to par. Installed a AMD RX-480. Could have spent a lot more. Shortly after AMD/ATI came out with new drivers that make it as fast as NVidia GTX-970 according to a few friends. It cost me $239.00. I am a lucky guy, can afford what I please, doesn't mean I like throwing money at stuff that doesn't give me more bang for my buck. Like you their needs to be a purpose.

Best

BaldyB