Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Unable to engage CMDA

As suggested earlier, it is to do with the 'realistic AP option', I wasn't attempting to use B after take off. So obviously I wasn't in trim enough, or just pressed it again at the wrong time. User error.

I'm a bit doubtful about a problem of engagement related to an out-of-trim situation because in this case you could not engage neither CMD A or B.

But is the problem solved? As you say "User error", I'm guessing you have found it?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I'm a bit doubtful about a problem of engagement related to an out-of-trim situation because in this case you could not engage neither CMD A or B.

But is the problem solved? As you say "User error", I'm guessing you have found it?

Just to reiterate, I could engage CMD B, but I only realised this at FL130. I didn't attempt to use 'B' on the climb out. It was only later in the flight that I thought to use CMD B.

When I use the the PMDG, I tend to use CMD A as the first option. A lot of the tutorials I have seen, tend to use CMD A.  It didn't occur to me to use CMD B, on the climb out.

You are still not answering the question. We all want to know if you were finally able to identify and fix your problem.

Just to reiterate, I could engage CMD B

And just to reiterate ( :Tounge: ): that is what I don't think it is/was an out-of-trim issue. There would be no reason why you could engage CMD B and not A in this case.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

And just to reiterate ( :Tounge: ): that is what I don't think it is/was an out-of-trim issue. There would be no reason why you could engage CMD B and not A in this case.

Ah, fair play I see what you mean. I'm no wiser then. The problem has happened once before. Most take off are ok, apart from occasionally forgetting VNAV or the A/T. 

The conditions were thick fog at the time, so I was keen to engage the A/P, early, but I think I was over 1500f MSL. My hand flying was a little heavy handed if I'm honest.

Now you are not making any sense at all.

My God, as pilots we have to be straight  forward in answering simple questions, the aviation world would not forgive otherwise....

Now you are not making any sense at all.

My God, as pilots we have to be straight  forward in answering simple questions, the aviation world would not forgive otherwise....

Sorry, I didn't see your earlier post. I wasn't sure why the A/P failed on that particular flight, and as Romain said, he doesn't seem to think it was an out off trim issue. As I said earlier, I did another take off from a different route without problems.

Isn't this the issue with "realistic A/P engagement" or some such thing? If you move the yoke with the A/P on it breaks the override and the A/P won't engage. Check failures and read up on the A/P engagement options.

I seemed to miss your reply...not sure why.   I think this is probably the reason why the A/P. With this in mind, I could probably re-create the issue. Or better still learn to avoid it in the future.

Thanks for you help

I had the same problem many times, until I found out its a failure problem.

A bit annoying because ILS does not work with CMDB

Simply do Menu>Setup>Aircraft>Failures and clear all failures.

Guess that failure occurred when I pulled up too steep at startup.

Peter Mulder

Peter Mulder

11 hours ago, FlyingGator said:

A bit annoying because ILS does not work with CMDB

It does, but you need to set the ILS for that side.

CMD B will use the right seat's radios.

11 hours ago, FlyingGator said:

Guess that failure occurred when I pulled up too steep at startup.

It is possible to break the AP shear pin. Have a look in the Intro Manual for more detail.

Kyle Rodgers