Sign in to follow this  
Martin Connor

PMDG 737-900NGX WL - incorrect wing span

Whilst building an updated airport KORD, I noticed AI aircraft trying to park in silly places.  On investigation I realised that the aircraft.cfg files for some of the World of Aircraft models were wrong.  Wanting to quantify the degree of error, I decided to write a program to pull out data from each aircraft.cfg and compare them against actual manufacturers data as available from Airport Planning documents published by Airbus, Boeing etc.

The results were surprising, not only because of the scale of the errors, but because PMDG seem to have an error in the 900 WL.  The wing_winglets_flag is set to zero, and the wing_span is set to 113,1 instead of 117.42.

I've no idea if this is of any significance to actually flying it, but I thought it might be of interest.  The 800 WL also has the wrong wing span, but the correct winglet flag.

Just to see the degree to which these figures derail AI, the WoA_AIA_B744RR for instance has a wing_span variable set to 126.46 instead of 212.99.  This makes it go into spots that are totally inappropriate.

Hope readers find this of interest.

Martin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No idea f this is the case, bt I suspect it will be a case of: 'key it n wrong so it behaves right'. Can hardly imagine PMDG doing otherwise.

but because PMDG seem to have an error in the 900 WL.

As Alan mentioned, there's probably a good reason that we've done this to sidestep some issue in FSX. As the comments in the .cfg mention, please do not mess with the values, or you will likely find odd results.

Our aircraft were never meant to be AI aircraft anyway.

Understood, PMDG configs left well alone.  I suspect that getting an AI aircraft to work needs an aircraft.cfg, so creators tend to pick up one that works and use that.  I've now altered all my WoA AI aircraft and parking at KORD now seems an awful lot more realistic.

Thanks for your responses.