Sign in to follow this  
brucek

XP11 PB9: Networked view- jerky motion and general instability

I am trying the networked view option for adding another monitor to my XP11.  (I should add that I probably would have tried using two minors off the same GPU, if it wasn't for the fact that my main computer is a 2015 iMac and there is no separate graphics output to send to a second monitor).

The "slave" machine has an fps of over 40, and it's a PC, and normally runs a second licensed copy of XP11 very well.  But whenever I start up my iMac (master), the PC (correctly) changes location to where the master is.  It's then that the slave machine is very jerky and erratic (although the fps is still showing 40+).  Could this be a networking issue?  

Both machines are networked by WiFi through a router (Apple airport extreme), which also has 4 other computers, a printer attached wirelessly to it, plus an ethernet-connected Comcast internet modem.  

Would it make any sense to attach a stand-alone ethernet cable between the two computers-  and if so (I do have one), would that require an ethernet hub? (goodness knows where I would find one of those these days halloween_smile.gif  ).  Or maybe an ethernet router?  Regarding the router, which I presume would lease an IP address to the computers, I assume I would need to disconnect the WiFi router fir at least the time that the ethernet router was connected?  so many questions....

Thanks for any ideas / help.  The networked view is working great other than the slave machine is almost unviewable due to the intense jerkiness.  Note that the jerkiness only applies to movement, although with the master aircraft stationery, the networked view aircraft appears to randomly move  around on the runway.

As a first step to resolving your problem it would be a good idea to just directly connect the two pc's together via ethernet with either a crossover cable or an ethernet hub (there are plenty of cheap ones available) with standard cables, without any router connection. You will need to set up a fixed ip address on each pc. You can google how to do this if you don't know how.

See if that resolves your issue and then start thinking about router connection

Generally I would avoid networking via wifi in a simulator setup.

My networked sim pc's are all connected via a hub, all with fixed ips, and connected to the router from the hub.

Hope this helps

Ian 

Ian Cameron

Thanks Ian.  Does your router set the ip address for the hub uplink?  Thanks for the ideas.

I'd try disabling any unused network protocols. Might help as I've seen similar problems with IP6

The hub doesn't require an ip, just the pc's connected to it. When you setup fixed ip's on your pc's you will designate the default gateway, your preferred and alternate DNS server ip's.

Ian Cameron