Sign in to follow this  
themasterWookie

No sounds except engine sounds audible

Hello Guys, 

Bought the 747 yesterday and took it out a couple of spins. However, I noticed that the engine sounds were the only audible sounds- to mention a few, if I shut down the engines and started the APU, I could hear no spool-up or running sound for the APU. There were no sounds when I pressed buttons or flipped switches either. The generators' and packs' sounds that are audible when their associated switches are pressed can also not be heard. However, every function in the airplane is working fine, just that there are no sounds except those of the engines. 

I also noticed an abnormality while landing the airplane: I don't know if it was just my eyes deceiving me, but when I set my flaps to 30 in the final approach config, the external view only showed a flap extension of 10º. 

My apologies if these are known issues, but I searched the forums all over and could not find a mention of these anywhere. Also, I reinstalled the 747 but am still facing the same problem. Could these problems be associated with me accidentally declining the activation of those various .dll files whose warnings come up when the sim is first loaded after installation? I don't remember doing so, though. I also run my sim as administrator.

FSX SP2, Windows 7. 

Thank you in advance!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Chirag.

Goto the FMC > PMDG SETUP  > OPTIONS > SOUND.

Then look at the DEVICE option and make sure you have selected the correct soundcard.

Then restart the sim.

​​Hi Chirag.

Goto the FMC > PMDG SETUP  > OPTIONS > SOUND.

Then look at the DEVICE option and make sure you have selected the correct soundcard.

Then restart the sim.

Hi Armen,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried every option in the device category: One for headphones (the ones I have connected), one that says "Digital Audio", and one for speakers. Unfortunately, there is no change in the sounds. I can only hear the one-dimensional humming of the engines. 

Edit: Fixed the issue by deleting the "SoundDevice:" line from the options.ini file in the FSX PMDG folder (As described in the known issues post by Ryan).

Update on the issue:

After having restarted FSX multiple times and having changed sound devices, I have noticed that the issue is recurring, i.e. every time I connect a different sound output device, the sounds once again become inaudible except for those of the engines, and I have to once again go to the options.ini file to delete the sounddevice line. I don't know if this is a real problem, but it is annoying, to say the least. 

Hope something can be done in the next update!