Sign in to follow this  
Hotshotp

Best dx10 fixer settings

Your topic is too general to give a definitive answer. Each setup is different. Maybe a description of your equipment and its capabilities. Otherwise, simply experiment with the DX10Fixer settings until you get something you like.

Sherm

• Upvote 1

It's that my specs are low, so I need the abssolute performance settings. The only thing is aa should be x4

FSX w/DX10 enabled runs great out of the FSX box.  You can turn your settings up to max if you have a system at least like the i7 2600K (Sandy Bridge) and see no performance loss whatsoever.  FPS will be up near 50 or more (with default settings (ugh! not very pretty) you will be near 200 fps).  When you add a commercial add-on, performance will begin to suffer dramatically until you are below the 30fps mark and then you'll start seeing less and less VAS.  So that's the area where you want to monitor or fix, the commercial add-ons.  If your system cannot run them very well, then you will have to upgrade but even the powerful systems of today will likely bring performance down with add-ons. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi, Jim. 

Thanks for your reply. Very appreciated, especially for a newbie like me. Here are my specs, and links for the product if you need to look at them for whatever reason.

I have a MSI Intel H81 LGA 1150 DDR3 USB 3.1 Micro ATX Motherboard (H81M-P33)

My CPU is Intel G3258 4 Pentium 3.20 GHz 3M Cache 2 Core Processor (BX80646G3258)(OC'd TO 4.2 GHz!!!)

I have Kingston 8GB of DDR3 RAM, 1600mhz(I notice that it gets downclocked to about 1300 mhz on my motherboard)(Forgot the link)

My GPU is a MSI GTX1060

Windows 10 OS, 64bit. The g3258 4GHz is a sweet deal for fsx, and for it's price. With unlimited fps and with ftx global and vector and high settings I get min. 22 FPS, AVG. 57 FPS and max 72 FPS. Set the framerate limit to 25. UNPARALLELED SMOOTHNESS! 

PS> When I said that my specs are low I jsut wanted to get the most performance option, but never mind!

It is quite a bit better than the systems that were around when FSX was first released so it should be able to run FSX w/DX10 well but it is definitely not a great system.  Your CPU only supports up to 1333MHz RAM so your 1600MHz will be down-clocked and will never achieve 1600MHz. 

The key to running FSX is smoothness even if the FPS get down into the 20's.  The "high-powered" Pentium systems we had back in 2006/2007 could barely run FSX with any addons and everyone was extremely happy if they could get around 15 fps (at that time, many experts were saying 15FPS was just as fast as a movie and we were happy to get FSX working as fast as a movie...). 

With my system, with the optimized textures I get from GEX, I can get close to 300 fps with FSX default settings but the textures on the ground are not exactly pretty.  So that would be your performance option.  Keep your settings at the default, make sure your resolution is native, and you will have the best performance option. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

"With my system, with the optimized textures I get from GEX, I can get close to 300 fps with FSX default settings but the textures on the ground are not exactly pretty.  So that would be your performance option.  Keep your settings at the default, make sure your resolution is native, and you will have the best performance option. "

Hi Jim, and all. emfbi, but evidently you favor GEX over ORBX. If it is not too much trouble, do you mind explaining why the preference? I had  GEX until ORBX came along, so I guess I have  a vested interest of sorts in your preference....thanks..

Sherm

GEX textures are optimized.  Orbx textures are not optimized but I don't prefer them over Orbx Global/Vector stuff because I have never ever used the Global/Vector things.  I had UTX (which is like Vector) too that fits with GEX but that product is difficult to install and it does not work well with GEX anymore IMHO.  So many edits to UTX to make it work right with GEX like lighting, etc., and I am fed up manually doing this everytime I have to reinstall it.  This is not 2017 and 2007/8 have long since gone.  I have also found that UTX takes up valuable resources dimenishing the optimizations of GEX.  UTX was a good product for its 'day'.  I have never used Orbx Global with Vector so cannot make any assessment of that product.  I happen to like GEX and I plan on staying with GEX because the product definitely, 100% for sure, increases FPS for me.  I do have almost all of FTX/Orbx's products like the Pacific NW, Southern California so GEX textures (which replace the default textures) are not used when I am using those products. GEX is also developed by my friend NickN who has been somewhat a FSX guru over the years.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks, Jim....interesting take. I also had used UTX and GEX, until orbx came along, and frankly have not looked back since...I do not know NickN personally, but have followed his advice almost from the beginning.

Again, thanks and I appreciate all you are doing for those of us hooked on our hobby..

Sherm

It is quite a bit better than the systems that were around when FSX was first released so it should be able to run FSX w/DX10 well but it is definitely not a great system.  Your CPU only supports up to 1333MHz RAM so your 1600MHz will be down-clocked and will never achieve 1600MHz. 

The key to running FSX is smoothness even if the FPS get down into the 20's.  The "high-powered" Pentium systems we had back in 2006/2007 could barely run FSX with any addons and everyone was extremely happy if they could get around 15 fps (at that time, many experts were saying 15FPS was just as fast as a movie and we were happy to get FSX working as fast as a movie...). 

With my system, with the optimized textures I get from GEX, I can get close to 300 fps with FSX default settings but the textures on the ground are not exactly pretty.  So that would be your performance option.  Keep your settings at the default, make sure your resolution is native, and you will have the best performance option. 

Best regards,

Jim

Well, I am a budget computer builder, but I just started, and maybe I will want to make a new computer. Can you recommend me a good CHEAP CPU, motherboard(which wil lsupport my 1600mhz 8g ram), and mayeb a cheap GPU? My absolute budget for each of them is 200 dollars.

Can you recommend me a good CHEAP CPU, motherboard(which wil lsupport my 1600mhz 8g ram), and mayeb a cheap GPU? My absolute budget for each of them is 200 dollars.

At newegg.com:

An Intel i5-4690K CPU: $260

ASUS Z97-A Mobo: $135

This would water your eyes in comparison to the CPU you're running now.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

At newegg.com:

An Intel i5-4690K CPU: $260
ASUS Z97-A Mobo: $135

NVIDIA 760 GTX GPU 

This is essentially my rig. After spending so much time tweaking FSX (having fun all the way, even with failures), I have reached a solid sweet spot locked at 31fps, with full ORBX scenery, sliders maxed or close to it.

Sherm

Got it! Sure, but what gpu?

sorry, left that out by mistake....see my edited post above

Sherm

Seems like the others have beaten me to some suggestions.  I found the following:

Intel Core i5 4670K at Walmart - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intel-Corp-Core-i5-4670K-Processor/26464056.  $256

ASUS Z97-A Motherboard - https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASRock-Fatal1ty-Z97-Killer-LGA-1150-Intel-Z97-ATX-Motherboard-DDR3/167027719.  $145

A good GPU would be around the GTX780 and above.  Here's a nice GTX 1050 for $144 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b1C5u_c_x_3_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=J79Q7HHY42HSQ8KAEKJX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=ad112e6b-2646-5740-bcb2-f227e6e7d96e&pf_rd_i=284822.

I would also recommend a good 600W PowerSupply.  Your memory should fit this MB.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM