Sign in to follow this  
wde12

777 & 747 takeoff throttle hold

This applies to both the 747 and 777, so I am posting here in the General Forum. Can someone shed some light regarding hands on throttle / control during a 747 or 777 takeoff roll? 

I have watched my fair share of flight deck youtube videos. On takeoff, it seems that some operators maintain different SOPs. Sometimes, I see the PF increase the throttles to roughly 50% N1 or whatever for the initial spool up, and then click TOGA and follow the servos to the proper thrust set position. They hold their hands on the throttles until V1. To me, that makes total sense. They are flying. Flying requires the yoke, rudder, and throttles. If they have to abort pre-V1, so be it. This seems to be the majority of videos.

But on other videos, I see the PF do the same throttle up steps, but once thrust is set (prior to 80kts) the PF moves the inner hand back to the yoke and the non-pilot flying places his or her hands on the throttle until V1. This seems to NOT depend on aircraft type, as I have seen this on 777s and 747s. Two simple examples below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8a6qbF9ECg

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it airline / operator specific? Does anyone know why some do it one way versus the other?

Usually, the pilot flying advances the thrust levers to stabilize the engines and make sure they come up at the same time then hit TOGA. After that, the Captain is usually the person who keeps his hands on the thrust levers until V1 because he has the final decision on what happens on whether to reject or continue the take offs. This is stated in Boeing's manuals. 

I don't fly the 747 or 777, but I will explain how we do it at my place of employment. The PF sets the takeoff power, the PNF then adjusts power as necessary on the takeoff to maintain the aircraft within limits (I fly turboprops and if you set say, 94% torque, the added airspeed will increase power and cause an overtorque condition).  The PF continues to have has hand "hover" over the throttles in the event of an aborted takeoff he can abort immediately.  Once V1 is called, the PF removes his hands from the throttles and places both on the yoke. This prevents an instinctual desire to pull the power back in the event of an engine failure. The pilot will then have both hands on the yoke through Vr until 400 feet where he calls for the climb power to be set and he assumes control of the power levers again. 

This is just an example of how we do it. But it spreads the knowledge a little. 

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Usually, the pilot flying advances the thrust levers to stabilize the engines and make sure they come up at the same time then hit TOGA. After that, the Captain is usually the person who keeps his hands on the thrust levers until V1 because he has the final decision on what happens on whether to reject or continue the take offs. This is stated in Boeing's manuals. 

Agreed.  The procedure variation in the videos is like dependent on whether the PF is the Captain or the FO. 

Andrew Jones