Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

How do I Delete Objects in FSX

Hi,

I have a few buildings that I want to delete in FSX but I'm not sure where they're stored. The city is called Downtown Birmingham in Birmingham, Alabama. There are some buildings that are not quite in the correct locations and I have downloaded exact models of these buildings from a 3D warehouse store. I thought at first installing these models would simply write over the default buildings but it does not work that way. There was one building in particular that installed just fine but it was swallowed by the default building which was a larger, and of course is not the correct size. I know this because I had to delete several buildings, including the airport terminal, in ADE. These were library objects and generic objects and they would overlap the new terminal that I had created. Before you suggest that I use ADE to delete these office buildings, that will not work. These office buildings are 3 to 4 miles S.W. of the airport and ADE does not have anything to do with them. I assume they're bgl files or they are autogen. So, what I want to know is how do I go about deleting these default office buildings and where are they're stored?

Ken.

If the building is a library object or generic building then you need an XML exclusion rectangle.

If it's autogen then you need an airport background terrain polygon set to type ExcludeAutogen

You can create either or both using SBuilderX. Easy way to do this is start a flight in FSX and slew the plane so it's over the building you want to remove, Then in SBuilderX create a project and connect to FSX and use View -> Show Aircraft to center over the aircraft, then add the exclusions. Compile the bgl's and add them to your scenery. You can download SBuilderX from ptsim.com. Be sure to grab the help file as well, it's very well written and organized.

An easier-to-use alternative might be the payware program Instant Scenery 3.

You might find more scenery design help at fsdeveloper.com

• Upvote 1

Barry Friedman

Hi fshobby,

I tried your suggestions but SBuilderX is not doing it's job. I stared FSX and slewed the plane over the top of the Building I want to delete. I opened SBuilderX and created a project. Now you say "connect to FSX". How do I do that because there is no button or anything for me to click on to make it connect. I did click View and Show Aircraft, but all I get is a red + on a white background. You said go to View and Show Aircraft to center it over the aircraft. Can you explain more what you mean? I tried the Get Position, I think it's called, and all I get is a white background and when I zoom in, the tiles just will not show up, which has always been a big problem in SBuilderX. It hardly every works right and all I do is waste my time with it. I downloaded the latest tiles, and I assume I placed it in the correct location, but give information about that because I may not have it installed correctly. There's no text that tells you where and how to install the tile update, and they don't tell you on their website. I've read over the manual and it dose not give a good detail instructions about how to use SBuilderX, and leaves out a lot of information. Oh, by the way, how do I go about determining rather the objects I want to remove are Autogen or library objects?

Ken. 

I forgot to mention that you need to install at least the unlicensed (free) FSUIPC for SBuilderX to connect to FSX

Download from here: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

If you want to see the background map make sure to install the latest Google server dll: http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/new-googleserver-dll.19913/page-2#post-761353

Then use View -> Show Background to see the map. I think connecting to FSX may be automatic when you click Show Aircraft, I'll try it later to confirm.

I don't know of a certain way to see if an object is autogen or a placed library object. Sometimes autogen also calls library objects so it's difficult to tell. Best bet is try an XML exclusion and if that doesn't work then try a terrain poly, or use both at the same time to cover both bases.

I agree SBuilderX is often temperamental and uncooperative but remains the best tool for the job in many cases.

I was going from memory how to do this but I'll play around with SbuilderX a bit and see if there's any more details I missed.

Barry Friedman