Sign in to follow this  
geholger

Slip/Skid indicator

I am trying to master some engine out takeoffs and according to some books I read (e.g. Mike Rays 747-400 pilot handbook) I would expect the slip/skid indicator to give some advice. However, it seems that the indicator is always centered. Even when performing an engine out approach (three autopilots active) and then disconnecting the autopilots below the minimums will always show the indicator centered - but of course I have to give a lot of rudder to successfully continue the landing.

Is it correct that the slip/skid indicator is always centered or am I missing something?

Best regards,

Holgrt

Holger Schmid

Make sure you have autorudder option in your simulator platform (FSX/P3D) turned off.  It is normal to see the slip/skid indicator moving, very abnormal to not do so.

Dan Downs KCRP

As always... the problem is usually in front of the Computer ;-). I just fired um the sim just to check and there we go: Autorudder was set. No idea why..  Disabling this option and everything works as ecpexted. What a cool Aircraft!

Thanks for your help. 

Holger

Holger Schmid

Just for your info on engine out operation, on takeoff with a V1 engine fail, the slip skid indicator is not used at all to maintain directional control. It is done visually by adding enough rudder to keep the centerline of the runway. An engine failure inflight is referenced primarily with control column displacement, not slip skid. Slip skid would be secondary. Control column displaced to the right, right rudder, displaced to the left, left rudder. The only time the slip skid is useful is when you are in a turn and the engine fails, then step on the ball since the control column will be less useful then. 

• Upvote 1