Sign in to follow this  

FSX/P3D OOMs getting more and more severe

37 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

It has not.  FSX was the first that was mainly CPU dependent.

If that was the case, we all would've been getting the biggest graphics card possible with FS9 rather then the fastest CPU with the highest clock speed. 

Pure clock speed rained supreme with FS9. And we got by with average graphics cards compared to today. 

I agree but that was what was put out back when FSX was first released.  I would suspect, with the advent of i7 CPU's, the CPU has gotten more important than it was back in 2006.  FS9 is really old tech but a lot of members in our community still like it.  FSX is old too but has some newer technology but not much as FSX released just two years after FS9 was released.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So I removed fsx.cfg, dll.xml, and exe.xml to my desktop to let FSX regenerate them and all is working well, but I did not disable my sceneries or anything because I verified that they are all compatible with my version of FSX and they are from reliable companies. I got my sceneries from REX, Orbx, FSDreamTeam, Taxi2Gate, FlyTampa, and Aerosoft. But to go more in depth with my crashes, they always seem to happen either completely at random or they are triggered when I, for example, go to change the sound settings for an aircraft and there is about a 4/10 chance that it will completely crash and say that FSX.exe is not working. And another experience I had was during a vatsim event in the PMDG 777 when I clicked on the FMC screen to maximize it and everything crashed. And where could I find your guide Jim? I think it would be very very helpful to me because of these problems I'm having. Thanks!

The dll.xml and exe.xml do not get rebuilt so, if you removed the dll.xml, exe.xml, you will need to bring them back.  If all is working well without the dll.xml, it means one of the modules being loaded by the dll.xml is causing you grief.  FSDT, Couatl, Aerosoft, PMDG, FSUIPC, are just some of the things that get loaded by the dll.xml.

When changing sound settings, it indicates you may be having an issue with your sound card or the internal sound from Nvidia or your CPU.  They may be in conflict.  I have the Nvidia sound disabled via the Device Manager and internal Intel sound disabled on the CPU via the MB as I have the SoundblasterZ sound card.  Managing sound on your system is a chore IMHO as everyone wants to control it.  You must tell your system you are the boss of your computer and not some piece of software.

The AVSIM CTD Guide link is located in my signature or on the sidebar for these forums.

VATSIM programs are out of my league but they cause crashes if not installed properly.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10