Sign in to follow this  
Guest DNelson

How to fly a ILS backcourse

I understand how to fly a ILS approach. But no not understand the procedure to fly a "backcourse".For example, Lake Tahoe has one runway 18 - 36. The only radio (ILS)info shows that for runway 18, set radio to 108.9 and set CRS to 171 degrees. Nothing is listed for an ILS approach for runway 36. Suppose you want to use the ILS for runway 36. Is this called a "backcourse" approach? Do you set the radio to 108.9, but what about the CRS setting? Do you set it to 360 degrees? Maybe, you set the CRS to 171 and press the backcourse switch? As I said, I would like some help with how to do this. Do all runways that list a ILS approach for one end only, support the backcoures method?Thanks,Jim

>I understand how to fly a ILS approach. But no not>understand the procedure to fly a "backcourse".>>For example, Lake Tahoe has one runway 18 - 36. The only>radio (ILS)info shows that for runway 18, set radio to 108.9>and set CRS to 171 degrees. Nothing is listed for an ILS>approach for runway 36. >>Suppose you want to use the ILS for runway 36. Is this called>a "backcourse" approach? Do you set the radio to 108.9, but>what about the CRS setting? Do you set it to 360 degrees? >Maybe, you set the CRS to 171 and press the backcourse switch?> As I said, I would like some help with how to do this. Do all>runways that list a ILS approach for one end only, support the>backcoures method?>Thanks,>JimYou've got the right idea. My google search actually picked up a tutorial from Hal Stoen, who has lots of good tutorials on the bacics.http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/ILS%20Back...Approaches.htmlUsually, you don't fly the reverse side of an ILS localizer beam unless it has been OK'd for use as a "back course" ILS approach. Generally, you are using corrective steering that is opposite of what you'd use on the normal ILS approach - you react to CDI needle deflections opposite. If the needle deflects left, you don't steer left to "catch" it, you steer right, away from it, to "pull" it back to you; if that makes sense.J-

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest Lobaeux4

Down and dirty version?If the LOC BC course listed is 010, meaning you're approaching rwy 01, then you would dial in the backcourse, in this example 190. Then fly it just like you would a localiser. Don't follow the glideslope indications though, if you look at the minima, you'll notice it's much higher than standard ILS minima, regular localiser mins apply. Also, remember that the localiser antennae is located at the approach end of the LOC BC runway, therefore know that the signal becomes much more sensitive the closer you get to the approach end of the runway.

Guest DNelson

Remember that on an ILS with a normal VOR CDI, it doesn't matter where you set the OBI course to. Most instrument students are taught to set the CDI to the final approach course, just as a reminder, but the CDI needle indicates the same no matter what the course is set to. It is true that on the back course, you get "reverse sensing" on the CDI.An HSI, mechanical or electronic, is different. It's important to set the course arrow to the final approach course to get the correct CDI indications. The beauty of an HSI is that on a back course approach, you can set the course arrow to the front course, and you'll get the correct "fly toward the needle" CDI indications. That's why most back course approach plates list the front course heading on them.