Sign in to follow this  
jandjfrench

New install on new machine

Hi,

I got a new (used) computer mainly to use as a test bed.  It has a clean version of Win 7 Pro 64 bit.  Any suggestions as to how to proceed with installation of Flight and FSX that anyone might find useful?  I have both the Steam and disc versions of FSX which can be installed and used for conversion and several versions of Toolkit. I downloaded and installed the free version of Flight which seemed to run fine but I was asked to enter a "key" in order to add stuff and use multiplayer.  I was going to create a new gamertag but recalled reading in a post that all except multiplayer could be added to Flight with Toolkit, at least in Non-GFWL mode, so I just used my old gamertag and was able to avoid entering a key.  I don't foresee any problems completing the new install but if anyone has any questions or suggestions as to how to proceed I'm holding off proceeding for awhile.

Jim F.

I decided that there was no advantage in delaying installing FSX so I decided to install the Steam addition as it includes Acceleration.  After half an hour or so, which is about as long as it takes me to do a full install from disc including the SDK and seeing that it was going to take about 12 hours or so I recalled why I gave up on Steam and uninstalled.  I installed Deluxe and am going to install Toolkit and create an addon version of the converted scenery.  In my previous conversion I noticed a few anomalies and will be able to compare this addon to a version I will create after Acceleration is installed.

Jim F.

easiest way is to just intsall the Flight Toolkit to get the addons for Flight.

also i dont think you need the FSX SDK for the scenery conversion, although the Acceleration pack may contain some fixes for a few airport locations i doubt it would make much difference either.

Hi all,

Since I last posted I recalled that I neglected to install SP1 & SP2 so I did that and using .32 I converted the scenery without problems.  I just created the addon and haven't attempted to install it.  I'm pretty sure the location isn't important but just point to it with addon manager and it will handle it.  Hopefully anyway.  It was my intention to come up with a very specific install procedure for Flight and Toolkit that I could share with others.  Unfortunately, I seem to be having problems with my install.  I've reinstalled Flight several times and experience problems after I reinstall Toolkit.  I'm taking a break from that for awhile.  On the new computer I can run Flight after choosing "unmodified" and on my previous computer  I can run the non-GFWL version without problems.  I'm flying a bit differently than I have before.   I have a CH yoke and have set the default zoom in the cfg so that when I look down at the yoke in an aircraft it appears very close to the same size as when I look down at the CH.  I've set the default zoom to 2.0 and flying is a completely different experience.  Of course, I don't see much of the cockpit but at least I can see the GPS in the Icon without additional zooming.   I have the left trigger button on the yoke programmed to display the cockpit and the right trigger set to reset the eyepoint.  When in the Cockpit view and use the hat switch to look around, or at the gauges, I just press the right trigger to looking straight forward.  Next, I intend to install Acceleration and create another world addon.  I've just been having a lot of fun flying.  And I appreciate, and am in awe of, the contributions that have been made.  If I can be of any assistance in any way please don't hesitate to ask.

Jim F.