Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

FS9 starts to load + crashes

I am using FS9 on Win XP. I recently installed VFR San Fransisco + Sacramento scenery and downloaded two patches. After this FS9 would not run. I uninstallled this latest scenery but FS9 still would not load. I have now uninstalled FS9 and re-loaded it. The FS2004 screens loads, then it just crashes back to the desk top. I am stuck as what to try next. Thanks for your help.

Hello,Try with http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.htmlthis product traces all file access and "may be" you will see on what file FS9 has problems.I did use it several times with success.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Guest rino

Have you also deleted all FS9 related folders?Have you also deleted your old FS9.cfg? <--- check this, sometimes an FS9.cfg corrupt file is the culprit

Good advice Rino--This is true of most programs--when you "uninstall", most often quite a bit is left behind. I've uninstalled many programs and just as one example, almost always have to go into the registry and delete the orphan entries left behind. MSFS related uninstall programs also won't remove add on bgl's in many instances. And as already mentioned, your fs9.cfg, scenery.cfg, etc may be left behind as well.Scenery add-ons are a frequent cause of reinstalls. I always suggest doing two things to avoid a reinstall related to a scenery issue:1. Backup your scenery.cfg prior to loading any scenery add-on!2. Track where the scenery bgl's and textures (if applicable) are going. If you search your FS9 folder and subfolders for *.dat files and sort the results by date, the most recently updated .dat file will reside in the folder where the newest scenery was added.I've had add-on scenery cause the same issue you've seen, but by faithfully following these two steps (and restoring my scenery.cfg in one instance), I haven't had to reinstall either FS2002 or FS2004 during the course of using the programs.Hope this helps!-John

SITUATION=C:Documents and SettingsRon GinsbergMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesKANE - ARROW III - SPRING - DAYdefines the default saved flight in FS9.cfg. This flight loads in the background before even menus are reached (check FSUIPC.log). Here's a copy of an FS start through the loading of a selected flight aws noted in this FSUIPC log:DebugStatus=15 23424 System time = 18:36:06 23424 H:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9 23424 System time = 18:36:06, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z) 41440 C:Documents and SettingsRon GinsbergMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesKANE - ARROW III - SPRING - DAY.flt 41690 AIRCRAFTPiper Arrow-IIIPiper Arrow-III.air 42061 Aircraft="Piper Arrow-III panel" 51785 Module [M1] identified = "PMDGOptions.DLL" 51785 Module [M1] "PMDGOptions.DLL" access registration is okay 51785 Module [M2] identified = "simhardware.dll" 51795 Module [M2] "simhardware.dll" access registration is okay 70872 C:Documents and SettingsRon GinsbergMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesKBOS -CRJ200 - SPRING -DAY.flt 71393 AIRCRAFTOpensky_CRJ-200 NorthwestCRJ-200ER.air 71823 Aircraft="Project Opensky - CRJ-200ER Northwest Jet Airlink" 77411 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded 80686 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled 114935 Traffic File #14 = "sceneryworldscenerytraffic" 125581 Traffic File #16 = "sceneryworldscenerytraffic_ups" 127453 Traffic File #15 = "sceneryworldscenerytraffic_fdx" The fifth line down shows loading the default flight as noted in FS9.cfg and a few lines down from that a selected flight was loaded.The point is that if your default flight contains defective scenery then FS will crash before getting to the menus. If you edit FS9.cfg to change the SITUATION line to another saved .flt file in a different scenery area remote from the suspected area and using a default aircraft or other known to be trouble free then all your other settings in FS9.cfg can be saved.Out of the box FS9 loads as default I believe the C172 at KSEA. If any of the lower California scenery add-on is scanned and that scenery is defective then you will get the FS crash with its out-of-the-box default start-up.Another possibility is if any defective landclass or autogen added objects were substituted by the add-on. If these modified files were not replaced during the re-install then they might be active causing crashes.