Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bell206freak

Project Washington Overhaul - Announcement.

Guest Bell206freak

Hello folks,This is an official announcement regarding the next scenery package coming from SAR Scenery Design and Repaint Studios.Called "Project Washington Overhaul", this scenery package covers nearly 20,000 square miles of terrain in Washington State in two distinct areas: Puget Sound/Strait of Juan De Fuca, and Mount St. HelensFeatures of this package are enormous. Nearly every coastline and water polygon data point south of Seattle in Puget Sound and Hood Canal are getting a makeover, as are the default LWM/VTP data for several lakes. New lakes will also be added, and the new/improved coastline/LWM data will be crafted to match the coastlines represented by Megascenery Volume 4: Pacific Northwest.As part of the package, several airports within the coverage area are getting an "Extreme Makeover."The airports are:Sanderson Field (KSHN) - Shelton, Washington.This two-runway (one being abandoned) strip in Shelton, Washington is a prime spot for GA flying within the south Puget Sound area. An FBO runs charter flights in both a Cessna 172 and a Hughes 500D helicopter. Each feature of this airport is completely modelled in gMax, and is based off of the intimate knowledge I have of the airport as the result of my being a 14-year Shelton, WA native, as well as hundreds of photos. In addition, a highly-customized AFCAD and AB terrain background polygon simulates every feature on the airport property. Assistance in this project was graciously given by the Port of Shelton, which allowed me unrestricted access to all I needed for the project. Tacoma Narrows Airport (KTIW) - Gig Harbor, WashingtonThis single-strip airport just west of Tacoma is a U.S. Customs Port of Entry and features full airframe/powerplant services for most GA and light jet aircraft. As with Sanderson, each feature is totally photoreal. There are two distinct features of this package. One is the total revision of TIW, including a revised AFCAD, and the other is the replacement of the default scenery object depicting the Tacoma Narrows Bridge with a gMax-created equivalent that's "as real as it gets." This famous landmark in Washington is based off of hundreds of photographs as well as structural drawings available online. With a poly count of over 12,000, this bad boy of scenery design objecs has no negligible impact on framerates.Flying H Ranch (WN42) - Buckley, WashingtonThis private airstrip in Washington was actually requested by a fellow Flight Simmer. Each feature will be accurately depicted as well as a custom revised AFCAD and AB terrain background polygon.Port Orchard Airport (4WA9) - Port Orchard, WashingtonThis seemingly-abandoned airstrip in Port Orchard, Washington left a lot to be desired in Flight Simulator. A custom AFCAD, with the taxiways Microsoft mistakenly left out, are included as well as a revised AB terrain background polygon. Additionally, I have placed scenery created off of photos of the airport created in gMax. In all, some seven buildings, which Microsoft didn't even include, are now included in the package. SFS Airpark (80WA) - Port Hadlock, WashingtonThis is quite possibly one of the most famous airports in Flight Simulator for the most unusual of reasons. At the default level, the runway can either be floating or sunk in a hole some 1,500 feet deep. This is the result of a erroneous mistake in the placement, as it sits nowhere close to Lake Crescent in reality. Features include a relocated and custom AFCAD and AB terrain background and flattening polygon, as well as the three structures adjacent to the field. The biggest feature is the relocation of the airport, which is now some 80 miles east of "default."Vaughan Ranch (WN13) - Port Orchard, WashingtonThis private strip northeast of Port Orchard comes complete with a custom AFCAD and AB terrain background polygon, as well as several gMax-created objects depicting the houses and hangars alongside the airport.Forks Airport (S18) - Forks, WashingtonThis short, single-strip runway in Forks, WA gets a makeover with a custom AFCAD based off of 1M per aerial satellite photography, as well as every default building being replaced with gMax photoreal structures.Olympia Regional Airport (KOLM) - Olympia, WashingtonA major airport in Washington, serving as the aerial headquarters of the Washington State Patrol, features two large runways that can accomodate light to medium-sized jet aircraft. Full flight services and flight training are offered here. Features of this airport include fully photoreal buildings and a highly-modified AFCAD based off of Megascenery Pacific Northwest and 1M per pixel aerial photos.An abandoned gravel strip in Lilliwaup, WA.This airport has been abandoned it seems, but it is clearly visible on satellite imagery. Simulation of this airport is executed by drawing a short road in SBuilder and placing a turf runway in AFCAD over it.Other portions of the package include:Mount St. Helens Scenery PackageThis is the latest in my series of scenery projects simulating flight near Mount St. Helens in Flight Simulator, and it is also most likely my last revision for the area.Features include a brand new satellite image at 5 meters per pixel. This new image shows more detail than any other image I have used in previous releases. As with the last release, I am incorporating autogen to further enhance the realism of flying the area using satellite terrain imagery. In addition, I am also incorporating accurate winter/spring/night lighting scenery to this package.Additionally, new scenery objects are being placed, such as the 3/4-mile-long Highway 504 Bridge at Hoffstadt Creek, the A-Frame Cabin* new/reworked steam blast effects, and more. For users with the desire to use "default" type scenery, I have added a revised Highway 504 and revised the coastlines for Coldwater, Castle, St. Helens, and Spirit Lake.Mount Rainier Scenery Package.This is an essential rerelease of my previous Mt. Rainier scenery package for Flight Simulator which featured a 15 meter-per-pixel satellite image. The image has been refined and I have now added autogen to it. Additionally, scenery objects such as the Paradise Lodge, Longmire Lodge, the Henry M. Jackson Visitor Center, and the Sunrise Visitor Center, have also been added.The entire project has taken up to seven months in design and planning, and will be completely freeware upon release. It will be an enormous package, consuming close to a gig in harddrive space.The projected release date is in the spring, sometime near April or May.Stay tuned, because I will be posting pre-release screenshots as time nears.*A-Frame Cabin: This cabin was three days away from completion when Mount St. Helens erupted on May 18, 1980. It was destroyed, but remained standing, by the resulting mudflows that swept down the N. Fork of the Toutle River by the melting glaciers mixing with volcanic debris. Today, it is a tourist attraction and landmark. Helicopter tours originated from here as well.

Hey great to hear! I look forward to this. You have obviously been very busy.We were looking at the Paradise area for the lodge and visitor center. If you have already done these objects then this is great, look forward to seeing them.Hope we can get other folks interested in doing more enhancements of this area.cheers.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Guest Bell206freak

Yeah. It's going to be designed to be compatible with most freeware/payware packages.The main focus of this package is to incorporate as much detail and realism as possible in the airports/scenery packages represented, and to make sure that compatibility is ensured with other addons.It's also one of the reasons the project release was delayed. Initially, it was scheduled for a mid-December release but there were severe anomalies associated with the Tacoma Narrows LWM/VTP data