Sign in to follow this  
JR95

Fatal Error at Startup

I may be a little late to the party, however I am still having trouble with a Fatal Error on startup. I applied the uiautomation.dll to the main FSX folder however the problem has not been remedied. Any ideas on where to go from here?

Jacob

You provide very little information for anyone to make a suggestion on how to fix your problem.  The AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10, How to Fix Most Freezes/Crashes, has some ideas on how to fix your problem.  The uiautomationcore.dll (the proper version) is one solution IF you have Windows 10 or Windows 8 installed.  I never saw the problem with Windows 7 or earlier OS's.  When you start up FSX, it loads any module you have in your dll.xml.  If any of the modules is corrupted, then FSX will not start up.  FSX will also not start up if you do not have Microsoft Visual C++2005 w/SP1 installed.  You should also have Microsoft.net 1.1 or 2.0 installed (these are installed when you first install FSX so they should be there but some people try to clean up their computer and get rid of the old stuff).  The guide also provides a link to AppCrashView where you can download it and provide us with a report showing your crash(es).  It also provides instructions on how to view your Event Viewer and to copy and paste the report into your topic or post here.

I split your topic from the other long topic as it gets very confusing when many members are posting their issues and possible solutions in the same topic.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm getting a brand new error at startup that I've never encountered before. Today, I got an error with the FSX launch screen is still displayed saying my graphics card isn't good enough to perform shader operations (??) despite working pretty well for years. I don't remember seeing those two "shader_cache" lines in my fsx.cfg before now. I have an AMD Radeon 7 360 with 2GB of RAM on a PC with Windows 10, build 1703 and 16GB of RAM. I've put my AMD driver disc back in and reran the installation process, but that didn't do anything. I moved my fsx.cfg to another folder to force FSX to rebuild the fsx.cfg, but it's put those same lines in again. Any ideas of what I'm missing?

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458432
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432
D3D10=0

You have a Shader_Cache_Primed for DX9 and one for DX10.  You have DX10 Preview turned off.  In the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 24, I recommend removing the Shader/Facilities/Scenery Index folders as they will be rebuilt when you restart FSX.  If FSX will not start, then I have suggestions on page 30 of the CTD Guide.  The modules in your dll.xml are the first to load when you start up FSX so any problems with a module and FSX will not startup.  It is why I suggest moving the dll.xml to a temporary folder, restarting FSX and seeing if FSX will not load.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks (once again) Jim. Got it going, but it appears this sudden issue was somehow connected to Norton AV quarantine of GEX interface and exe which seems to defy my reasoning abilities! When I restored GEX from Norton quarantine and then retried launching FSX, it rebuilt the fsx.cfg and completed the launch sequence. I notice those two shader_cache lines at the top of the graphics section and everything worked. I made the changes in the FSX Configuration Guide. I don't seem to have the same quality of scenery details that I previously had, but will have to continue tinkering with that. Thanks again,  JIm! :biggrin: