Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Addon Organizer and Layer Numbers

Hi Oliver,

I'm running P3D v3.4. Could you confirm if my scenery.cfg entries and the layering numbers are what you would expect with FSDT, FB and MyTraffic Pro addons?

My scenery.cfg has entries from 001-237 with no duplicates. I have a fair amount of 3rd party software including FS Global, FTX Global, Ultimate Terrain for Europe, USA and Caribbean plus many airports.

I have MyTraffic Pro installed as an addon but with a forced layer number of 115 included in the add-on.xml file located in Documents\ Prepar3D v3 Add-ons\MyTraffic6 as advised by Poppet in the MT support forum.

This entry doesn't appear in scenery.cfg before P3D is launched.

If I launch Addon Organizer the scenery section shows I have an entry for Oshkosh (light green) and MyTraffic (dark green). They both have a layer number of 115. This seems unavoidable because I have forced MyTraffic to use 115. Do you consider this correct?

If I use Addon Organizer to generate a 'temporary' scenery.cfg combining scenery.cfg plus all my FSDT, FB and MyTraffic addons this is how the layers look...

Oshkosh = 116

MyTraffic = 115

SAME = 114

Finally, if I go into Scenery Library in P3D and make a change then revert to its original status (so no change effectively) when I press OK P3D reports problems and offers to fix them. If I choose Yes it will invariably not work. Is it best to avoid using that aspect of P3D?

Would you agree my configuration is what you expect?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

This entry doesn't appear in scenery.cfg before P3D is launched.

Actually, it never appears in that file. The dialog in P3D shows you a view of the complete library, regardless of the origin of the scenery area definitions. It is not just a representation of the scenery.cfg any more.

If I launch Addon Organizer the scenery section shows I have an entry for Oshkosh (light green) and MyTraffic (dark green). They both have a layer number of 115. This seems unavoidable because I have forced MyTraffic to use 115. Do you consider this correct?

Yes, that AFAIK is correct. The simulator refuses non-sequential layering in the scenery.cfg, so this is the only way that layering an external inbetween the scenery.cfg can work.

If I use Addon Organizer to generate a 'temporary' scenery.cfg combining scenery.cfg plus all my FSDT, FB and MyTraffic addons this is how the layers look...

Oshkosh = 116

MyTraffic = 115

SAME = 114

Yes, that is how I programmed it. See above, a scenery.cfg file has to have sequential layering. By trial and error I found out that the external addons take precedence, so I give them a lower priority than a scenery area with the same layer number in the cfg

Finally, if I go into Scenery Library in P3D and make a change then revert to its original status (so no change effectively) when I press OK P3D reports problems and offers to fix them. If I choose Yes it will invariably not work. Is it best to avoid using that aspect of P3D?

Doesn't P3D say what kind of error? I haven't experienced this before, and I am at a loss what this means. You aren't the only one either. Maybe there is a bug in P3D, that it can't handle the internal vs the external layers if they are changed in the scenery library dialog.

I have managed to get the same message about the non-sequential layer ordering. This was not there before. I need to check a few things, will be back.

Question: did you disable any external addon scenery with the Addon Organizer tool?

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your reply. It looks like my scenery.cfg and addons are in good health. :smile:

No, I haven't disabled anything with your Organizer. It does seem like a bug in P3D v3.4 because everything has been installed to the required standards.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your reply. It looks like my scenery.cfg and addons are in good health. :smile:

No, I haven't disabled anything with your Organizer. It does seem like a bug in P3D v3.4 because everything has been installed to the required standards.

I have managed to get the same message about the non-sequential layer ordering.

I carefully agree that this may be a bug in the P3D scenery library dialog. The plausibility check when closing the window has a problem with the internal vs. the external layering. Pressing "No" keeps everything intact.
The indicated "error" does not show in the error logs, and it obviously isn't a problem when viewing the scenery library (plus, it works).

The really strange part is, that I am sure that I never got this when testing the app to find out where the simulator will insert the external addons.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for confirming this. To be honest I wouldn't normally use the Scenery Library option but was curious after reading others issues with it.

I know Addon Organizer pretty well now having spent a lot of time understanding how it works. It really is a wonderful utility and the only way of generating all the right data for MakeRunways, EFB etc. I use it in combination with Scenery Config Editor to keep my scenery under control.

if you do contact LM about it please let us know how things transpire.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather