Sign in to follow this  
A32xx

Cherokee KAP140 issues

fshobby on the DTG forums has reported this issue with the KAP140 in the Cherokee, just wondered if anyone else has found this too:

"I find that clicking VS cancels the lateral mode (HDG or NAV). Clicking Up/Down displays a vertical speed but the aircraft does not climb. Clicking ARM resets VS to zero. VS cannot be changed with ARM enabled."

The problem is that once in ALT ARM Mode, you can't re-check your VS setting without changing Mode from ALT ARM back to VS Mode. Activating VS Mode doesn't always work, you need to activate ALT ARM again to change altitude but that seems to default to 400fpm up or down regardless of the VS Mode setting you entered.

The autopilot has been bonkers in the Cherokee from day one, it's the one I choose to fly most in FSW so I've kind of got used to its glitches, everything from not being able to turn off the panel lights when the exterior lights are on, to the wacky autopilot. So I just use throttle settings for the VS and altitude holding and only use the autopilot for holding headings, but it does need (and hopefully will get at some point) some fixing.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

At least the "VS canceling HDG/NAV" part applies to the DA42 autopilot as well, as I found out yesterday. Not sure about DA40, I've not flown that one on autopilot so much, but I think it's likely as the autopilot does look similar. In the DA42 the VS also defaults to 1500 fpm, which is bit too optimistic for a sustained climb. 

Sorry for the slight off-topic...