Sign in to follow this  
DrumsArt

About ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI GAMING (11 Go GDDR5X) ?

Hi,

I am considering buying the ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI GAMING (11GB GDDR5X).

1 / I noticed that there are 2 models with seems it the same reference but one at a frequency of 1480 MHz and the other a frequency of 1569 MHz. The latter is a bit more expensive.

The two cards are however referenced "ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI GAMING (11 GB GDDR5X)"
How is it possible to have 2 models with the same reference and 2 different frequencies, can anyone tell me about this ?

2 / I will need an opinion about this card with my config.

Thank you and Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

When you buy any non-reference gtx 1080ti, the GPU clocks are largely irrelevant anymore, thanks to something called GPU boost 3.  What you are getting are different thermal solutions.  In this case the two strix cards have different base clocks, I believe, but identical cooling.  The heat sink, vrm and other on-board component cooling on the strix are among the best option for 1080ti cards.  In my opinion the lower priced option would be the best buy because they are likely to boost up to nearly identical frequencies. Search The Gamer's Nexus YT channel for some info on the ROG Strix 1080ti cards.

1 hour ago, DrumsArt said:

Hi,

I am considering buying the ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI GAMING (11GB GDDR5X).

1 / I noticed that there are 2 models with seems it the same reference but one at a frequency of 1480 MHz and the other a frequency of 1569 MHz. The latter is a bit more expensive.

The two cards are however referenced "ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI GAMING (11 GB GDDR5X)"
How is it possible to have 2 models with the same reference and 2 different frequencies, can anyone tell me about this ?

2 / I will need an opinion about this card with my config.

Thank you and Regards,

They don't have the same reference, the more expensive one has an "O" in the name, which stands for the "OC" version.

Beside shaving higher clockrate and performance, these are typically "binned" chips (specially chosen and able to achieve higher performance)

1 hour ago, OneWhoKnocks53 said:

When you buy any non-reference gtx 1080ti, the GPU clocks are largely irrelevant anymore, thanks to something called GPU boost 3.  What you are getting are different thermal solutions.  In this case the two strix cards have different base clocks, I believe, but identical cooling.  The heat sink, vrm and other on-board component cooling on the strix are among the best option for 1080ti cards.  In my opinion the lower priced option would be the best buy because they are likely to boost up to nearly identical frequencies. Search The Gamer's Nexus YT channel for some info on the ROG Strix 1080ti cards.

This is not 100% correct... Clocks are by no means irrelevant, and specially in the case of OC versions, they are the ones that contained specially picked chips by their ability to be overclocked.

Thanks to both for quick response. I guess there is no major incompatibility with my current config ?

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

5 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

This is not 100% correct... Clocks are by no means irrelevant, and specially in the case of OC versions, they are the ones that contained specially picked chips by their ability to be overclocked.

You are correct, I forgot about binning the good chips!