Sign in to follow this  
Guest lemonadedrinker

Question for FS9 setup gurus

Can anyone help me out with setting up FS on my system?I've got 2 problems that have been really bugging me for some time now:i) Blurry terrain. I'm talking about the update of the textures around the aircraft. Over time I find the terrain becomes increasingly blurry - I know there are steps that can be taken to reduce this, such as reducing visibility, turning off autogen, but it seems no matter what I do the terrain will always end up blurry after a period of time.ii) Low framerate in 2D panel view. When switching from the 2D panel to spot view (or even VC in some cases) I see a 50-100% increase in framerate. I've tried adding the PanelAsTexture=0 line to the FS9.cfg but it makes absolutely no difference.These two problems are really starting to ruin my FS and I find myself spending more time tweaking than anything else. I've tried adding various entries in the FS9.cfg, I've tried disabling hyperthreading, I've tried various combinations of AA and AF on my graphics card, and I've tried running FS9 via FSAutostart. I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling FS this last week.I'm running FS on a HP ZD8044EA laptop with the following specs:P4 3.2Ghz1gig RAMATI Radeon X600 Mobility (128meg video memory).I've attached a copy of my FS9.cfg - can anyone suggest anything else I could try?Please no smart arse comments about buying a new system (although I do plan to get a new laptop later this year), I know my system is less than cutting edge, but it's certainly no slouch.Thanks for any help,Nick

Your machine should be able go give you good to great framerates. I trust you scan your machine regularly for Spyware? Regular defrags would certainly not hurt either. Have you tried deleting (back up) FS9 and rebuilding your FS9 config? It would be helpfull to know if you are running any other programs in conjunction to FS9.

I have Zone Alarm Security Suite installed and perform regular scans for spyware/viruses. I also defrag my HD once a week or so using Disk Keeper. I also keep my registry clean and healthy using RegHealer. I try my best to keep my system healthy and clean.I've tried deleting my FS9.cfg and letting FS rebuild it. I've even uninstalled FS and reinstalled from scratch.What I fail to understand is how in spot view my system can manage decent framerates, even at large detailed airports with lots of AI, but as soon as I switch to the 2D panel my framerate is halved?

Hey there. I once had horrible performance in 2d when I had added the panel_as_texture=0 line in my cfg or something like that.I can't remember the exact name. Anyway, after I removed it, all was good. Did you add anything like this?Best regards, Jeff

Really don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you should post your problem in the hardware forum as well if you haven't allready done so. Have you installed any new video drivers recently?

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. Does this happen with all the airplanes you have installed? Have you tried the simpler ones like the Jenny or Trimotor? Or even the glider? You may have uploaded something which disagrees with the workings of the system and a process of elimination may find it.Andy.