dmiannay

Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick

Since I don't have a yoke and separate throttle quadrant/propeller controls and rudder pedals, I searched here at Avsim as well as Google/Bing to find information on operating the DC-6 in Prepar3D v4 with just the subject joystick and a mouse.  I also searched the Introduction manual and both tutorials (X-Plane versions on PMDG site) and didn't find anything explaining if this is possible.  My joystick has roll/pitch/yaw axes as well as a small throttle lever.  I would love to buy this aircraft, but want to be sure I'll be ok with just the Extreme 3D joystick before doing so.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

2 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

Since I don't have a yoke and separate throttle quadrant/propeller controls and rudder pedals, I searched here at Avsim as well as Google/Bing to find information on operating the DC-6 in Prepar3D v4 with just the subject joystick and a mouse.  I also searched the Introduction manual and both tutorials (X-Plane versions on PMDG site) and didn't find anything explaining if this is possible.  My joystick has roll/pitch/yaw axes as well as a small throttle lever.  I would love to buy this aircraft, but want to be sure I'll be ok with just the Extreme 3D joystick before doing so.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

There's no reason it won't work. Providing P3D sees every axis then it will work fine. The majority of controller problems thus far have been FSUIPC related and not hardware specific (there was one issue caused by drivers, using the default windows drivers instead of the manufacturers drivers solved it).

Thanks for the reply, Chris!  I should have been clearer with my question... my joystick works perfectly fine with all other aircraft (PMDG, A2A C-182, etc.) in P3Dv4, but the Cloudmaster has additional control levers besides the throttles that I don't see how I'd control without having to change my view and drag with a mouse.  I can certainly do that, but is it practical considering the need to move each individually during various procedures?

I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill with this, but just want to have a bit more confidence this is doable before making the purchase.

17 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

Thanks for the reply, Chris!  I should have been clearer with my question... my joystick works perfectly fine with all other aircraft (PMDG, A2A C-182, etc.) in P3Dv4, but the Cloudmaster has additional control levers besides the throttles that I don't see how I'd control without having to change my view and drag with a mouse.  I can certainly do that, but is it practical considering the need to move each individually during various procedures?

I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill with this, but just want to have a bit more confidence this is doable before making the purchase.

Ah okay no problem I see what you're getting at.

The axis that you really need to fly are:

Ailerons

Elevators

Rudder

Throttles - There are 4, but could easily assign all 4 to 1 axis. Won't matter for flying or starting engines, you'll just lose differential thrust.

Prop RPM - There is one handle for all 4 engines. I personally have this assigned to a dedicated axis on my throttle, but as it's only 1 handle for all 4 engines, you could easily hand move this or use the key commands (CTRL+F2, CTRL+F3 I believe).

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Others to consider --------------------------------------------------------------------

Mixture isn't an axis, it has 3 positions: idle cutoff, auto lean, auto rich so clicking is no big deal.

The carburettor heat has an individual handle for each engine. I'm not sure if you can assign an axis to this. I don't because they're not changed often enough in flight to really warrant it. You can increase/decrease them by either click and drag, or scrolling on them with your scroll wheel.

Cowl flaps position - There is an individual control for each engine, but it's not an axis. It's a rotary knob with set positions. Not hard to click and really easily reached with only a small pan to the right from the captains seat.

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

A perfect answer, Chris!  Appreciate the time, and expanded information in your response.  You helped PMDG make another sale!

Blessings, my friend...

• Upvote 1