Sign in to follow this  
Guest dpc

Perspective - MSFS vs. Real World

"Virtually all small ga planes have the throttle on the right, therefore its left-hand flying and right hand throttling"It's the reverse in the Allegro--throttle on the left, stick in the center--unless I sit right seat of course. I tried some approaches last night, and ignoring the instruments and just looking at the visual perspective on approach, I find a zoom of 1.33 or so is closest to what I observed during approach in the Allegro, even down to the sensation of speed. Of course as many have noted, once the VC comes into play, then I have to use a zoom of .75 or so to get the right perspective and field of view, or "cheat" and fall back to a 2-d panel.-John

Hi JohnI suppose when flying the Realair SF260 I should swap hands on the controls. I`ll try it tonight and see how many SF260`s I can write off!CheersJames

>Taking my first GA flight/lesson in years the other day, one>thing I noticed when on final was the runway did not appear as>"long" and narrow as it does at MSFS's default zoom of 1.0 On>approach, this view pretty much approximated what my eye saw:>>http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0541695/L/>>Unless I zoom MSFS to somewhere between 1.25 and 1.50, it>seems very difficult to duplicate this perspective and depth>of field. I guess my question is, what zoom level do most>experienced pilots feel best provides "real" depth of field in>MSFS. It seems the default zoom is great for peripheral>vision and awareness, but less so for seeing perspective from>the point of view it should be seen from during approach. I>know some pilots use zoom values of less than one, but that>seems to make the "long and narrow" impression all the more>pronounced. >>-John That's why I really like landing panels! Here is carenado's 182 and it really does not look to different than your real picture's view. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142060.jpg...............Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Guest av84fun

I am a 2D guy as well and typically use a 1.25 zoom for approach and landing.Regards,Jim

The panel view is a compromise, even though I'll use it sometimes. And I will switch views between VC, 2D, and panel views, depending on the situation. In reality, we'd need at least another monitor on each side, to see what the eye see's.But one point I want to make. For landings, I use shift Z to get the digital airspeed readouts on the top left of the screen. I then glance at this airspeed, rather than constantly shifting focus from the runway to what may or may not be an undersized and harder to read airspeed guage on the panel.I'm willing to cope with "undersized" and tougher to read gauges in the virtual cockpit mode, because I like the added sensations of yaw and pitch while landing, especially in taildraggers as well as other smaller aircraft. It's the VC with increased perhipheral vison, that provides those added cues of yaw and pitch, as well as speed and roll.L.Adamson

Guest dpc

Ditto on the VC. And with added TrackIR this is almost a non issue.-dave