Sign in to follow this  
bic

laptop for networking

I have my main desktop, but for travelling for work I bought some HP laptop a few years ago.  As I don't use it that often, I keep going back to how they put in a 5400 rpm drive into it, making anything to load painfully slow.  Furthermore, I keep thinking I should get an $150 SSD for it, but since the laptop was $500, it is almost not worth it--other than my sanity during hard drive operation.  It has an AMD A10-5750 in it with 6 gig of RAM (quad core at 2.5 ghz).  IT appears that 1 gig is used by the video card.

So, I am thinking of starting to offload applications from my desktop onto it.  So, is that cpu good enough for external applications?  If it is and I start using it more, then maybe the SSD is a worthy upgrade.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I have a similar experience, I did the following: 
1- Removed the DVD drive and installed it in USB External Case Enclosure from eBay
2- Removed the HDD and installed in DVD bay using a Hard Drive Caddy Adapter from eBay
3- Bought an SDD and installed it as my windows drive, so I have 2 drives now. the SSD for Windows, MS Office. The HDD for the files.
4- Upgraded the RAM to 8GB

The result was unbelievable, the laptop is so much faster and can handle many browser tabs and excel files opened at once, I think mainly due to RAM upgrade, also due to the SSD the windows and MS Offices loads in seconds.

Total cost was around $110, totally worth it.

I run the following networked on an old IBM t60 1.8Ghz dual core.

Fscommander, ASN, Navigraph charts app, VPilot, plus a browser window.

While old, the laptop handles this all very well and it's nice being able to  view the moving map/charts and also the VPilot text output and controllers online from Vatsim

Thanks, I forgot about VATSIM on the laptop.  Must.Get.Back.Online.  :biggrin:

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

1 hour ago, bic said:

Thanks, I forgot about VATSIM on the laptop.  Must.Get.Back.Online.  :biggrin:

Yes, Vpilot works great in remote mode on the laptop, being able to see the controller positions and freq's and unicom messages is a great help as is being able to type your replys for the times that the controllers are  unintelligible ie. most times