Sign in to follow this  
Rius

Cruising altitude and speed

Hello,

If I'm not mistaken, the DC6 can fly up to 25,000 feet.

My problem is that when I am 15000 feet, my speed is already about 150 knots.

Is there something special to configure in the plane to be able to reach at least the 20000 feet and accelerate?

Thank you.

44 minutes ago, Rius said:

Is there something special to configure in the plane to be able to reach at least the 20000 feet and accelerate?

Couple things:

1. The DC-6 is not a jet. I know that sounds obvious, but the jet principle of "as high as possible as soon as possible gets the best performance" does not apply. Just because it can doesn't mean that you should. It can get that high to fly above weather and/or mountains out of necessity - not performance. If you do the math on the fuel burn, it's best around 8000-10000' excepting wind/terrain/etc.
  2. Make sure to look at the fuel burn chart in the manual. It won't list data for weights unavailable at that altitude.
  3. Keep in mind that IAS and TAS will be different. 150 indicated is a lot more in true, depending on your altitude and the temp.

Kyle Rodgers

1 hour ago, Rius said:

Hello,

If I'm not mistaken, the DC6 can fly up to 25,000 feet.

My problem is that when I am 15000 feet, my speed is already about 150 knots.

Thank you.

Please look at the provided data in our POH for required engine settings for various altitudes. Our plane is fully capable of flying up to 21.000 feet. That is the limit for the installed engines.

Which weight have you been using?

Did you close the cowling flaps to 0°

Are you using the the right engine settings (MAP and RPM)?

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

3 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Couple things:

1. The DC-6 is not a jet. I know that sounds obvious, but the jet principle of "as high as possible as soon as possible gets the best performance" does not apply. Just because it can doesn't mean that you should. It can get that high to fly above weather and/or mountains out of necessity - not performance. If you do the math on the fuel burn, it's best around 8000-10000' excepting wind/terrain/etc.
  2. Make sure to look at the fuel burn chart in the manual. It won't list data for weights unavailable at that altitude.
  3. Keep in mind that IAS and TAS will be different. 150 indicated is a lot more in true, depending on your altitude and the temp.

I totally agree, usually I fly lower, but I'm doing the IVAO Vintage tour in Brazil, and with the mountains I'm having to climb to over 20,000 feet

JGc7zjA.jpg

2 hours ago, metzgergva said:

Please look at the provided data in our POH for required engine settings for various altitudes. Our plane is fully capable of flying up to 21.000 feet. That is the limit for the installed engines.

Which weight have you been using?

Did you close the cowling flaps to 0°

Are you using the the right engine settings (MAP and RPM)?

I will go back to see the POH because I had not seen the engine data for the different altitudes

After the post, I found the solution, I had the Propeller Pitch Lever that was incorrectly set

I can confirm that the DC-6 can fly at 21000 without a problem.  The screenshots in the link below show me flying from Antofagasta Chile to Salta Argentina over the Puna de Atacama.

I really, really like this plane:smile:

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png