Sign in to follow this  
IMH747

IFR calification

Hi every one,

I'd like to know how many times needs a pilot to go and check his IFR ability in real live.

Am I enough clear, I hope.  :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

And also, what do you need to do to prepare yourself for this annual or bi-annual check
in airline company.

Thanks a lot guys :cool:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello,

No doubt one of the many real professional pilots that frequent AVSIM will be along soon to confirm precisely, however:

Fundamentally (in EASA land at least -- I don't know about the FAA) an Instrument Rating has a validity period of 12 months.

In very broad terms:

This means that you need to revalidate the IR with an examiner once a year. In an airline environment this is usually done in the simulator and is combined with a revalidation of your licence & type rating as well. This is called a Licence Proficiency Check (LPC).

In addition to the LPC, you also have to do an Operator's Proficiency Check (OPC). This is valid for 6 months and is primarily a training exercise (though some checking is included) and the scope is more flexible than the LPC (which contains certain mandatory items that need ticking off for the licence revalidation).

The upshot is that you generally end up with a six-monthly cycle of checks: an LPC & OPC, followed six months later by an OPC, then an LPC & OPC combined six months later... and repeat.

The LPC generally consists of things like V1 cuts, precision and non-precision approaches, engine-inoperative work etc. The focus of OPCs can vary -- the idea is to cover all the major systems on the aircraft over a two or three year period (IIRC) but a good training department will also be reactive to data received either internally (e.g. from FOQA programmes) or from other operators' incidents and design in training to mitigate against current "hot" issues before they result in an accident.

An OPC might last a couple of days and consist of a combination of ground training and some sim time, looking at specific items (e.g. TCAS manoeuvres, for instance) and also generally some form of "line oriented flying training" (LOFT) where the crew will be placed in what is intended to be a realistic scenario and the instructor will introduce various problems for them to deal with. 

For instance, the scenario might start in the cruise over the Atlantic en-route to New York. Then you get a failure of some description (perhaps removing the aircraft's autoland capability, for instance). Then you get a call from the cabin telling you that a passenger is critically ill. But the nearest airports are all below CAT I minimums... the idea being to see how the crew deal with the situation. (A very basic and not very inventive scenario, but you get the idea).

There is also now something called ATQP (Advanced Training and Qualification Programme) which I believe is intended to be less prescriptive focus more on "real life" scenarios than the traditional LPC/OPC.

The LPC requirements are publicly available if you're prepared to trawl through the EASA/your local CAA website for the standards!

As Skelsey says I go through AQP every 9 months.  For that purpose I have the payware version of my aircraft for FS9 and FSX.  I can expect in the training to have problems with systems and fly approaches either with 2 engines running or one inoperative.  Then as he pointed out, we do a flight from point A to B in the simulator and usually encounter a problem.

For study purposes, I review all the procedures for normal, take off, approach and landing and engine out for the same.  We have to know all flap, gear and accessories airspeed limitations, engine limits which are committed to memory.