Sign in to follow this  
SimPilotNL

GTN750 Invalid License warning when starting a flight [solved]

I'm using (well trying to use) the GTN750 as a popup in the Carenado Baron 58  with Simcoders Reality Expansion Pack.

This is the scenario what is happening (GTN750 power is tied to Avionics Master in the settings):

• I end a flight shutting the plane down, so master avionics off, battery off
  • I start a new flight (whether X-Plane is shut down and restarted does not matter the scenario remains the same)
  • I start up the plane, battery on, start the engines, then switch the master avionics on (exactly in this order)
  • I press my hotkey to open the popup GTN750, (or click display window from the plug-in menu) and the pop-up window appears.
  • However I get a "License Invalid" warning and the GTN750 is unusable
  • Sometimes I can fix this by going to the plugins menu, then disable the GTN750, then re-enable it again, but other times this just complete crashes X-Plane 11
  • Sometimes the step above just does not work at all and I have to restart everything go through the process of disable/enable again and just hope for the best.

All in all, it takes anywhere between 20 to 60 minutes and several tries to get a flight going, which is annoying to say the least.
I have always had this problem with this plane in combination with REP and the GTN750.

I have yet to try if it works better with other planes (I almost exclusively fly the Baron though)

Hi Hans,

It is unfortunate, and we are wondering what could cause this on your system. It might help us you compare with a different aircraft (especially if this is a default XPlane aircraft), and see how does it work in this case.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Tried with the default Baron as follows:

1. Loaded up the default X-Plane 11 Baron
  2. Switched everything off (master avionics is on by default)
  3. Started up the plane (battery power on, start engines, master avionics on)
  4. Loaded up the GTN750 via the plugins menu, show the pop-up window -->> working I see it is licensed to me
  5. Shut the plane down (master avionics off, engine off, battery off)
  6. Via Flight Configuration moved the plane to a different airfield
  7. Switched everything off (master avionics is on by default)
  8. Started up the plane (battery on, start engines, master avionics on)
  9. Show the GTN750 window (since the plugin was still loaded) --> "INVALID LICENSE: CONTACT VENDOR"

It seems the problem exists with default planes as well. Somehow whenever I shutdown a plane and start it up again the GTN750 cannot find it's license.

wj0yKPP.jpg

I thank you for the additional and detailed explanation.

This is a very helpful report. Do I also understand correctly the GTN boot screen does show your name and valid license information at step #4, and show an invalid license information instead when powering up back on at step #9? 

If so, between steps #4 and #5, is the GTN running ok for many minutes (at least 10 mins)?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Yes the first time I loaded the GTN750 at step 4 it worked just fine.  My name and license information does show up and the unit works fine for the whole flight (1 hr flights and more). It is after powering back up at step 9 that the invalid license message as per attached screenshot occurs.

The way I can "fix" this (for one flight at a time) is to disable the GTN plugin and then enable it again. But as stated in my first post this is not guaranteed to work. Sometimes when disabling the GTN plugin X-Plane just crashes in the sense that I get the "waiting wheel" and after a while a dreaded "This program is not responding" message, and then all I can do is forcefully quit X-Plane.

Hope you can find a solution for my problem, because when it works the GTN750 is a great addon, I really love all it can do for me as a (virtual) pilot.

We are working on it today as we are finalizing both GNS and GTN update for X-Plane. I'm hoping we'll find the root cause of this, which might be highly system dependant because we've had no other similar reports on the forum so far?!

It might also be inter-plugin related. We've had a few reports lately of things not working properly when using LUA with some scripts/aircraft for example, because of the LUA plugin itself apparently.

2 hours ago, RXP said:

we've had no other similar reports on the forum so far

I have had this problem for a long time and was hoping the next update would fix it

I have lived with because it only happens after switching OFF battery power then back ON, see the end of my video in the video section for Bell 429.

It is right at the end of the video. The GNS works with no problems.

Tom.

Hi Tom, thank you for the additional report. Like I've said we're working on it. However, thanks to your report now, I think the only reason it is happening (license invalid) is just because the trainer process was not closed when powering off. Hopefully, the new build should cure this, and like said above, we are right into it right now!

1 hour ago, bluebell2 said:

I have had this problem for a long time and was hoping the next update would fix it

I have lived with because it only happens after switching OFF battery power then back ON, see the end of my video in the video section for Bell 429.

It is right at the end of the video. The GNS works with no problems.

Tom.

Tom

I am just wondering how you "fix" this problem if you somehow have a "fail-safe" procedure?
For me disabling the plugin usually works, but I've had instances where that would just crash X-Plane as stated.

Hans

Hi Hans

Switching OFF and ON the battery a few times works for me. Slight pause in between. The problem with this I have a 750/650 setup and one may start up okay but not the other so I have to cycle the battery on till both come on. This only happens after the first start which always starts okay that is first power I have no problems only any power down after this..

Tom.

And let me just add this problem is fixed in the upcoming update, at least, as far as our FltSim release shows, because this power on/off/on stuff is handled the same in both simulators.

Speaking of the update, we might have a build ready by tomorrow at last!

15 hours ago, bluebell2 said:

Hi Hans

Switching OFF and ON the battery a few times works for me. Slight pause in between. The problem with this I have a 750/650 setup and one may start up okay but not the other so I have to cycle the battery on till both come on. This only happens after the first start which always starts okay that is first power I have no problems only any power down after this..

Tom.

@bluebell2: Does this mean you have the GTN units set to swtich on with battery power? I have set mine to switch on with the master avionics bus.
Now I am wondering how it is in the real world? When does a Garmin GTN unit get power in a real airplace? Does anybody know?

@RXP: And awesome that you have it fixed so soon, looking forward to the new build and many hours with the GTN750

Jean-Luc,

I saw the update yesterday and I have downloaded and installed it. However, Monday is a day for another hobby for me, so I have not been able to test yet. This is a bit of a busy week for me anyway with some construction work going on at my house, but I think I can find some time this evening (CET).

Of course I will let you know, but the response I saw from bluebell2 here looks very promising :)

Did some test and for me it also seems to work perfectly now.

Thumbs up for the great support!

Next step for me: Try to get a GNS750 and GNS650 running on a 7" touchscreen in portrait mode (I suppose I might have to wait until the X-Plane 11.1 SDK)

• Upvote 1