Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Some more work with Ortho4xp over the Napa Valley

Flying over the North Bay and the Napa Valley in my recently completed SF Bay Area project.  For some odd reason, the city buildings and bridges don't display even though I used overlays and the scenery processed with no errors.  The airports do display however.  Might be due to the mesh changing elevations, my Phoenix scenery did not have that problems and buildings displayed.  No worries, love the end result anyway, adds realisim to VFR flight.  Hope you enjoy the screenshots!

John

Cessna_172SP_1.jpg
Cessna_172SP_2.jpg
Cessna_172SP_3.jpg
Cessna_172SP_4.jpg
Cessna_172SP_5.jpg
Cessna_172SP_6.jpg
Cessna_172SP_7.jpg
Cessna_172SP_8.jpg
Cessna_172SP_9.jpg
Cessna_172SP_10.jpg
Cessna_172SP_11.jpg
Cessna_172SP_12.jpg
Cessna_172SP_13.jpg

• Upvote 1

Great looking shots....I see a bunch of jets at Napa airport...very nice location!

HLJAMES

23 minutes ago, HLJames said:

Great looking shots....I see a bunch of jets at Napa airport...very nice location!

HLJAMES

Yes, it's interesting to compare and contrast the differences between P3d photoreal and Xplane.  These images are at a higher res than my P3d scenery, and mark the end of my experimentation with Ortho4XP.  I just wanted coverage of the two places I've lived the majority of my life in, the SF Bay Area and Phoenix.  Rendering scenery with Ortho4XP is a bit easier than FSEarthtiles, since it takes care of the water masks for you.  Also it takes less time, about one hour to render about 3500 sq miles whereas FSEarthtiles would take about eight hours to do the same, might be due to the source I use, USA_2 which is faster than say google or bing.  I was quite surprised with the results once I enabled the scenery.  I built the scenery directly into the custom scenery folder so all I had to do was update the .ini file once done.

John

My greatest worry was whether I would get OOM errors in Xplane11 having only a 3GB video card.  There's 25 Gigs of textures there in the background, but XP11 handles them without a chirp.  XP10 gave me OOM errors, so obviously they have done wonders with memory handling now.  I'm done with my Ortho projects though, they take up a lot of space in XP11, probably because I chose 17 as my resolution vs. 16.  I don't want to go to the lower res, been my dream to see what high res photoreal looks like.  3500 sq miles is plenty of space to fly around in, both in the Bay Area and Phoenix.  I am delighted with Xplane 11 now that I have photoreal in a couple of areas, perfect for training flights in the 172.  I hope Austin can see what his sim looks like with Ortho4XP.

John