Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

Basic Questions for Kraken X62 Cooling System

I have had a 5-year old Jetline PC upgraded to transition from FSX to P3DV4 w/ 3 x 24 Dell monitors. Upgrades include:

1.) Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0 GHz CPU Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor (without over clock)

2.) MSI Enthuastic Z170A LGA DDR4 Motherboard

3.) Kraken X62 Liquid Cooling System

4.) Nvidia GTX 980 8G GPU

5.) 16Ghz DDR4 RAM

I have separate drives with FSX on Win 7/64 and P3DV4 on Win 10/64 on a 1TB SSD. 

With P3D operating, I typically see temps of 79-80C and occasionally low 80's. My question is how normal/abnormal is this and what can be done to lower temps? My local computer expert and I discussed GPU fan RPMs. I downloaded an EVGA Precision XOC program that includes fan speed options. My local expert guy hasn't been available and I'm reluctant to start changing things as I really don't know what I'm doin. 

Any suggestions are welcomed. 

Thanks in advance / Les Parson

5 minutes ago, LDP1949 said:

With P3D operating, I typically see temps of 79-80C and occasionally low 80's.

Are these CPU temperatures? If so, I'd say they're high for a 6700k at stock speed, especially with that cooler. I have a 6700k with a Corsair H110i GT (very similar to your Kraken) and I get high 60s under load. Have you tried turning up the fan and pump speed on the Kraken? How is your case cooling generally?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

These are GPU temps. I have not yet focused on CPU temps as most of the load is on GPU.  I haven't yet adjusted fan speed. 

For GPU temperatures, 80C isn't the end of the world but you would certainly want to aim for a lower temp if you can. Often, the standard graphics card profiles are set up for silence over cooling by default. Sometimes they come with different overclock profiles (my asus dual 1070 includes 'Silent', 'Gaming' & 'Overclock' profiles). The gaming profile turns the fans off before 55C, so the card has already warmed up before it starts the fans.

You can use EVGA Precision to change the profile and result in lower temps but you may want to create a custom profile where the fans kick in at say 40c and run at 25% and then at 50C ramp up to 40% depending on the noise and what you are comfortable. I have overclocked mine but the fans run at about 50-55% at 50C and up so that the temps stay low.

There are other factors too - if your CPU cooler is exhausting into your case then the graphics card is using warmer air to cool the GPU. In short, try a new graphics card profile in Precision if there is one but the best bet is to create your own custome fan profile.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4