Sign in to follow this  
andro_b

User added waypoints in X-Plane 11

How does one add a custom user fix to X-Plane 11 for use the Garmin 530 GPS flight plan function? From what I have manged to find on the internet so far, it appears that editing the earth_fix.dat file is strongly discouraged. You are supposed to use the map. I am unable to find any function to add or save my own fixes. What am I missing? Can this actually be done?

This is possibly one step closer to a solution. I created a file user_fix.dat in the CustomData folder alongside earth_fix.dat. Adding a fix here in Victoria Australia for a location near Cobden, a small regional town with very little navigation data available - as for much of Australia - works. Here's the file:

I
1101 Version - data cycle 1710, build 20170901, metadata FixXP1101.

-38.2866667 143.6800000 ACBBA ENRT ZZ

I am now able to see the fix ACBBA in the Garmin G530 and the aircraft are happy to fly to this point. All looks good.

So in one sense I have achieved the goal, but the question remains, what is the proper and approved way to do this, and why can't the X-Plane map window allow this?