Sign in to follow this  
Berike

ProgramData CFG file with weird format

Hello!

I'm trying to install IVAP v2 on P3D v4.1 and I found my SimObjects.cfg file this way:

https://ibb.co/k1Ckow

If I insert the Entry 10, the file format will be corrupted, because inside P3D the aircraft selection becomes blank.

See the inserted entry how looks like:

https://ibb.co/eXrgvb

And all my CFG files looks like this.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

starting with P3D V4.0, the .cfg files of the simulator have a different character encoding than before. ".cfg" files can no longer be edited with the default Windows Notepad, this will break the encoding.

If you have to edit .cfg files manually, use an advanced editor like "Notepad++".

Best regards

LORBY-SI

If we install a fresh copy of P3D on a fresh Windows 10 we can open those files in regular Windows Notepad and even edit them safely. We can see what the encoding is by choosing Save As from the File menu, don't save just look at the list control at the bottom it shows if the file is Unicode if that's the one already chosen in the list. If the list box does not show the format expected it has already been altered. Other text editors might not work, so be sure to use one that knows how to handle Unicode before editing.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

49 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Hello,

starting with P3D V4.0, the .cfg files of the simulator have a different character encoding than before. ".cfg" files can no longer be edited with the default Windows Notepad, this will break the encoding.

If you have to edit .cfg files manually, use an advanced editor like "Notepad++".

Best regards

I use ATOM, which is more complex than Notepad++, but I installed Notepad++ just in case, it doesn't even recognize the encoding and give me NULL to all characters, any other way to edit it? Do you know what is the encoding used by LM?

Notepad reports SimObjects.cfg as Unicode.

...thing to try is delete or rename your simobjects.cfg and start P3D v4 will create a new one. Then have a look at it with a compliant text editor..