Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Ultrawide hd monitor distortion?

17 hours ago, Cat_Dad said:

What does the menus look like on your 55" 4K TV? Are they super small and hard to read? Do you need to run your GTX 1070 in the DRS mode in order to get a 4K output or will it detect your 55" TV without that?

1.  Depends on your view distance from the monitor and size of your monitor/TV, in my case 49" they are easy to read ... but have to move my neck more ... I operate about 24-36" away from the monitor pending head angle and view.  

2.  You do not need DRS for any GPU, most GPUs can operate 4K, however I would recommend a 1080Ti for 4K and FS performance (especially AA and DL).

3.  Your GPU will detect your monitor provided you have the latest drivers ... pending on the monitor features you'll have various output options RGB, YCrCb (YUV), 8bit, 10bit, 30Hz, 60Hz, Full Range, Limited Range, 4:4:4, 4:2:0, etc. etc.  If everything looks to "dark" then it is likely your are running Limited Range for color space.  If you see a lot of banding (gradients) then it's also likely your running Limited Range for colors space.

Best advice for a 4K monitor is to SAVE YOUR RECEIPT ... you may have to experiment with different brands and models and price ranges until you find the one that works for you.  TV/Monitors are changing so fast/frequently it's impossible to know what is and isn't good today vs. yesterday or yesteryear.  My Sony 4K is old (2014) but I love it, operates at 30Hz and 60Hz without "lag" that many report for 30Hz operation. 

I have another smaller 4K LG monitor that is actually 10bit and has free sync and was very cheap $499 (but these days I've seen 55" Samsungs 4K at $299 on sale), but because my LG is small for 4K (27") the icons and menus are small also ... so I use Win10 scaling to 125% or 150% and that resolves it, you still operate at 4K res, but everything is scaled up which can actually make everything seem much sharper but be aware not all software works well with OS scaling.  However, my LG is my main FS monitor, it's used with my networked PC setup (FSCommander, HiFi AS4, etc.).

2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Listen to Rob, he's an expert.

You know I'll never accept that title of expert, I'm always learning and technology changes rapidly so there is always something to learn.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob for the detailed info on the 4K menus.

Currently I have a 40" Samsung 1080p TV which I have tricked into thinking it is 4K. Maybe that is why the menu in X-plane 11 stays so small even though I did the 300% font increase in windows 10. That and my GTX 980 with only 4Gb of ram does not have the hp that the 1080 ti has.

Bottom line looks like I need to get a 50 to 55" 4K TV (LG, Samsung, Sony, etc) that will handle the input from a 1080 ti.

Again thanks for the info.

Terry

PS: I removed the "trick/added memory stick" from the Samsung TV so that it displays a true 1080p resolution in X-plane 11 and all seems to be well again. I get 40-50 fps in dense areas and saw up to the low 70s in sparse desert airports after the latest beta update. All sliders set to or one notch below full right/max setting.

I do have a 34" (Predator X34) and one Samsung QLED 34 (I do prefer the Samsung, more extreme curvature and better image reproduction overall for sim, but not as fast as the predator for other types of usage). I do like the extra view from the sides, a multimonitor setup to me is more problems to deal with, horsepower to drive and so on. The video is from my setup, everything is readable.