Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

Illegal Distribution of software

>I checked via an alternate IP address and as of 01/01/2006>www.simnetwork.net still had my file present on their site and>was still charging money for '1 CLASS' membership access to>the file.>>Perhaps they needed a reminder to remove it.Since that URL is simply the 1st Class "mirror" of http://www.simnetwork.com the file(s) are available for free for those who do not choose to purchase a "1st Class Membership..."How then is that different than the scheme many other websites use, such as flightsim.com?Please not that I'm not endorsing or condoning their practices, but am curious at the apparent inconsistency in viewpoint...In Ken's case however, he has specifically prohibited any other hosting of his file, which is of course a separate matter entirely... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My work has been posted, cross posted, linked, uploaded, downloaded and every other frikkin thing. All my stuff is freeware, but its not copyright free. So long as the work is attributed to me, I have gotten to where I dont waste a lot of emotion on it. Jaded as it might sound, I do my work mostly for me. If somebody else enjoys it thats exhaust of the effort. I have though, gotten to where the only place I will myself upload files is to Avsim. I used to upload to Avsim and Flightsim.com, but frankly, I'd rather have my work in a single source for version control etc.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

"...used to upload to Avsim and Flightsim.com, but frankly, I'd rather have my work in a single source for version control etc...."Same approach here Eric. Usually some kind soul forwards my files to Flightsim.com--saves me the bandwidth. I can't kid myself that any of my files are the reasons people would buy a compilation on ebay or pay for access to a web site. Even if I am "damaged" by someone including my work, how much? A dollar? Two? That's not even a hiccup in time compared to the pleasure of designing or coding (as in the case of Landclass Assistant or Autoland). I wouldn't do any of these things if I didn't enjoy it and gain personally from it. I think to sum up my feelings, if authors feel infringement of their work is serious, they need to build a freeware entity that acts as their advocate and goes after those who illegally distribute their work. I just don't think it's worth investing the time unless someone blatantly sells one individual piece of work as their own. I have a long time before my work would ever be worth that risk for someone--my work isn't commercial quality so if they want to sell it and look like a fool in the process, they are free to do so :)-John