Sign in to follow this  
snpower

Monitors: UW 29 or 16:9

My new build uses a Ryzen 1600X, EVGA 1080 and as of now an LG 29 ultra wide which is 1080p. I want to move to 1440p; budget is $600 although I’d love to spend less. I’m eyeing the Acer Predator 271 and wondering if I’ll miss the ultra wide? Gsync might be nice but I have no clue how useful it really may be in P3D or other games... I guess general thoughts and possible monitor recommendations are appreciated. It doesn’t appear that I can swing ultra wide with Gsync...

ATP BE300 BE400 CE500 CE560XL DA20 MU300

The only ultrawides with gsync are the Acer Predator and the Asus PG348Q, both of which retail over 1000 USD. You could get a gsync 1440p 16:9 for 600-700 or so but you could also get a really good non gsync for a lot less. My Dell ultrasharp was $280 on sale, ips as well. gsync is really nice to have but you pay a MASSIVE premium for it. If you can catch one on sale, go for it, if not then get the best one in your budget that fits your needs. Even though you will see a difference in smoothness with gsync, I find it to be a very expensive technology with there being a lot of good, cheaper alternatives. You can get an even better deal if you don’t care about ips. As for ultrawides, I had one before my current 1440p 16:9 and I just didn’t see the point. Sure the lateral field of view was wider but I HATED the 21:9 aspect ratio for pretty much everything else. Personal preference, but in my opinion you won’t miss the ultrawide very much.

5 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

I HATED the 21:9 aspect ratio for pretty much everything else.

See how different preferences people have. I went ultrawide a year ago and I couldn't be happier. :smile:
Incredible increase of enjoyment while simming but also a fantastic tool for work - being able to see a lot more of the interface within a programme (e.g. Adobe software) or opening three working windows at the same time.

• Upvote 1