Sign in to follow this  
Alberto Zanot

Wet runways when raining. Suggestion: please Matt have a look at this

Hi Matt,

I recently bought PTA (#SIMMARKET-1738644) and ofcourse i love it.
As you may have noticed, from P3D v3 the nice wet runway effect when raining we had in previous P3D and FSX went away.
This was because the "dynamic reflection" and "clouds that cast shadows" introduction. I mean, the effect is still there but it is noticeable lowered because of the shadow of the clouds, and because "GlobalEnvTest.DDS" is replaced by the dynamic cube map.
Here is an example:
Old wet runways effect:
sf260wetRunwayWpSized.jpg

P3Dv3 and V4:

2jeqtxk.jpg

As you can see the bump map is barely visible.

I played a lot with the "runway_bump.bmp" and "GlobalEnvTest.dds" without any good result.

Do you think it would be possible to make the effect more visible and more strong via SHADERS?
More visible and more strong even with clouds casting shadows (I don't care about dynamic reflections, couse actually they really sucks. It is better better to turn them off and let P3D use the environment map)
Maybe in a next PTA update?

Let me know what you think, and keep the good work up!

Have a nice day!

Thanks a lot!

Actually, the v3 and v4 runways look much more realistic.  This is from a 10,000+ hour pilot flying corporate jets for the last 30 years. If the runway looked like what is shown in the top photograph, I would not even attempt a takeoff or landing since the runway looks "flooded".  Hydroplaning and very poor braking action are likely.  

With a grooved or PFC runway, you really do not see much in the way of standing water on the runway unless it is a major downpour is occurring, say fro example with a TRW passing overhead. In which case, your likely not taking off or landing any way.  If it is smooth runway, then it could be possible to see the effect in the first photo, but again, I would not take off or land a jet on that runway. 

What I would like to see is better snow and contaminated runway effects in P3D.  I don't know how many times I've landing on a most "white" runway with only the runway lights or semi-cleared touchdown zone defining the runway.  Realistically depicting these runways would be time best spent.

Best regards,

Rich Boll

Wichita, KS 

• Upvote 2

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.