Sign in to follow this  
pracines

Polar Operations - wx issue?

I have revived an old a thread over at Hi-Fi Technologies concerning a couple polar flights I did over the last couple weeks. There is an issue that I experienced with the weather getting very erratic near the north pole (>85N), so I did a search and posted in this old thread that describes the exact same issue I was experiencing. https://hifisimtech.com/forums/showthread.php?5616-Polar-operations

I fly in P3Dv4 using the PMDG 777LR or the PMDG 744 when conducting polar flights. I do not use time acceleration and always use live weather using ASP4/ASCA (default wind settings). Its not very often that I fly over or near the north pole, but in the past I never had the wx change so violently over the pole as these recent 2 flights. The wind indicator on the ND is all over the place (speed and direction). The A/P loses control and manual flight is very difficult. Upon reaching the other side (<85N) all back to normal. 

I think I'm correct in assuming that polar flights among virtual aviators is kind of rare, but it would be interesting to know how rare. Who takes the time to fly polar OPS? And if using Active Sky in P3dv4, have you recently encountered violent wind shifts in spurts every few seconds above 85N? I'm considering opening a ticket over at Hi-Fi if this issue is seen by a few others, but I would rather not take up HiFi's time to investigate this if its only me seeing this issue.

Thanks 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!