Sign in to follow this  
Azapata87

Landing reverse thrust and autobrake issue

Hello, 

I recently purchased the 777 for P3D after having flown it on FSX since release. 

On the P3D version I am experiencing an issue where the reverse thrust and autobrakes do not seem to engage until I manually force the nose gear down onto the ground. This is happening on every landing at any airport. I do not use fsuipc and use a joystick for control inputs. This setup has not had any issues in the past. The PMDG 737 in P3D works just fine on landings. I’ve see this issue reported on a few other threads but see no solution. Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Andres Zapata

First, reverse thrust won’t engage with the nose in the air if autothrottle is active. Disconnect it and you should be good there. Are the auto brakes disarming upon touchdown or just flat out not engaging? I recall autobrake won’t actually take full effect until the nosewheel is down. You shouldn’t be holding the nose in the air long enough for this to be a problem deceleration wise, though.

1 hour ago, Milton Waddams said:

First, reverse thrust won’t engage with the nose in the air if autothrottle is active. Disconnect it and you should be good there. Are the auto brakes disarming upon touchdown or just flat out not engaging? I recall autobrake won’t actually take full effect until the nosewheel is down. You shouldn’t be holding the nose in the air long enough for this to be a problem deceleration wise, though.

Nice profile picture, love that movie.

The autobrakes don’t seem to engage at all on touch down until the nose gear is pushed onto the ground. There is practically no deceleration and so the nose gear just floats until it’s manually forced down.

I can do a wheelie 3/4 of the way down a runway at the same speed I touched down at.

I purposefully disarmed the auto throtttles and idled them manually on my last landing to see if reverse would engage sooner and got the same results. 

-Andres Zapata

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Azapata87 said:

There is practically no deceleration and so the nose gear just floats until it’s manually forced down.

From what I gather, this is exactly how the 777 handles in real life; there is a note to this effect in the training manual pointing out that forward pressure is required to fly the nosewheel down after touchdown.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Azapata87 said:

Nice profile picture, love that movie.

The autobrakes don’t seem to engage at all on touch down until the nose gear is pushed onto the ground. There is practically no deceleration and so the nose gear just floats until it’s manually forced down.

I can do a wheelie 3/4 of the way down a runway at the same speed I touched down at.

I purposefully disarmed the auto throtttles and idled them manually on my last landing to see if reverse would engage sooner and got the same results. 

-Andres Zapata

The Big Fella is like a horse that you've let run wild in the paddock - it looks and feels out of control - but it isn't; it just needs to be whispered.

Fly it ALL THE  WAY on to the ground - including nose gear. Switch the bloody Autopilot off and fly the damn thing.

As has been stated above - A/T won't allow deploy of Ground Spoilers until nose wheel gear touched down; so, if you're short on cement - don't land on A/T (don't panic though - you can switch off A/T at 50')

It's a big, big bird. Not a 737. A 737 fuselage can fit inside the 777 GE engine cowling. Everything happens slightly slower but massively bigger.

Get hooked, read the POH until you're reciting it in your sleep, and you'll nail it.

And then the grin will spread across your face...you're a god damn 777 pilot.

Nothing better than that.

Hello, 

to the OP, I believe the fact that REV is not available until touchdown has been discussed many many times before. I don't know if it is a PMDG or FSX/P3D issue. In any case you are right that you should be able to select reverse when the aircraft senses ground mode. That is when the main wheels either spin up, or spin up and compress. If this is the case and the thrust levers are at idle, the EEC opens the isolation valve, allowing application of reverse. With or without nose gear compression.

If in the 777 you land without autobrakes, then indeed you have to make a positive input on the controls to get the nose down. In that sense the modelling is pretty good. However in real life you hardly ever land without autobrakes, so the deceleration will pull the nose down. So much so that anything at autobrakes 3 or more will require quick action by the PF to arrest the de-rotation and prevent slamming the nose wheel to the ground.

My experience in P3D is to just learn to live with it. The 777 is not meant to fly with A/T OFF, and in this case it will not make a difference in autobrake actuation or reverser deployment anyways. I make the landing as normal, de-rotate as normal and let the reverse come out a bit later than real life. The P3D friction model will make sure you use equal to or less landing distance than calculated (real life) anyways.

Cheers,

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777