Sign in to follow this  
nanosour

Need XPert help on OrthoXP and Autogen

I've been using OrthoXP for well over a year now in both XP10 and XP11.  I've also installed w2xp sceneries and in some regions of the world (GB Pro/Mass Pro) they are an outstanding combination.  However, in many areas I've still seeing what I believe is XP autogen houses that line the road where there are clearly no houses on the photoscenery.  It just looks bad.  Rome, IT for instance just doesn't look good even though I have photoscenery, simheaven VFR landmarks, w2xp_europe_mix

My question is, is there a way to remove all the default autogen objects and just have the photoscenery and the airport sceneries.  I know I can turn down the objects slider to the lowest setting, but then I'm losing my great airport scenery packages and landmarks.

I have viewed the "remove roads" thread on here and that was pretty good.  Is there something like that for houses/buildings?

TIA,  Nano

nanosour,

the only way to remove it that I know of, is to use either exclusion zones in WED or try using the Overlay Editor. Either way, you can remove most anything you want. I just completed creating the US and there are some areas that I just wanted the Ortho tiles so in WED, I created exclusion zones and the result is quite satisfying.

BTW, Ortho4xp can also create photoreal scenery without any objects. Just don't select any scenery in the overlay section when creating the tiles.

Of course you also need to remove/disable/set to a lower priority any overlay sceneries for that region. Yuo can now turn your objects all the way up in order to see everything at airports, but you won't have any houses, trees, roads etc. over your photoreal tiles.

But keep in mind that lights are bound to objects, so you won't see any lights in cities or along streets at night when you remove those!

11 minutes ago, mgeiss said:

BTW, Ortho4xp can also create photoreal scenery without any objects. Just don't select any scenery in the overlay section when creating the tiles.

Of course you also need to remove/disable/set to a lower priority any overlay sceneries for that region. Yuo can now turn your objects all the way up in order to see everything at airports, but you won't have any houses, trees, roads etc. over your photoreal tiles.

But keep in mind that lights are bound to objects, so you won't see any lights in cities or along streets at night when you remove those!

Adding to the above, you can simple disable yOrtho4XP_Overlays/ in your scenry_packs.ini, but as already stated you will loose your X-plane roads, traffic, and streetlights at night, so I would not recommend this option for night flying. You can still enjoy trees and your W2XP overlays though. Just make sure you generate woods and forests when you generate your W2XP sceneries, or use a the separate forest overlays available from Simheaven.

While I am somewhat bothered by this autogen houses extending into areas they shouldn't, I find it more immersive keeping the autogen, but I remove the underlays (lawns) using https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/39590-photoscenery-autogen/ and make the road textures transparent using some techniques and downloads from https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/137541-transparent-road-and-autogen-textures-for-photoscenery/.  This provides an immersive experience overall and keeps all the night lighting and traffic too.

In areas I am  familiar with I do tweak the autogen further by setting up exclusion zones using overlay editor. It's really pretty easy once you get the hang of it. 

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Much thanks for the replies.  I will investigate to exclusion zone option for specific areas, although I do have over 270 tiles so that's a lot of area to work with.