Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Meltdown updates bricking AMD PC's!

Microsoft's 'Meltdown' updates are reportedly bricking AMD PCs

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/09/microsoft-halts-meltdown-spectre-amd-patches/

Following reports of unbootable machines, Microsoft has halted updates of its Meltdown and Spectre security patches for AMD computers, according to a support note spotted by the Verge. It made the move after numerous complaints from users who installed the patch and then couldn't get past the Windows 10 splash screen. "To prevent AMD customers from getting into an unbootable state, Microsoft will temporarily pause sending the following Windows operating system updates to devices with impacted AMD processors," it wrote.

• Upvote 1

Yes but it only seems to affect pre-Bulldozer (FX-series) CPU's, Athlons and Turions etc. You should have written "Meltdown updates bricking older generation AMD PC's!". Otherwise people might get it wrong and think it affects the newer AM4 platform which it doesn't.

16 hours ago, addman said:

You should have written "Meltdown updates bricking older generation AMD PC's!". Otherwise people might get it wrong and think it affects the newer AM4 platform which it doesn't.

I had no responsibility to do anything of the sort.

My title is the same as the articles title. Speak to the authors. :)

People won't "get it wrong" if they read the article. And that's precisely what they would do if they were at all concerned. 

I have no issue with the authors title. Indeed the updates are bricking AMD PC's, this is factual, at no time is it implied it's "all" AMD PC's. If somebody wished to "assume" that then it's their error. 

Well blindly re-posting exaggerated attention-grabbing headlines without fact-checking is how fake news can spread like wildfire on social media. Not saying this is fake news since there's an ounce of fact in it, just exaggerated in the headline to attract clicks.

Microsoft has already suspended the rollout of the patch for affected systems, so it's no longer an issue. The issue was that the code used to check whether a CPU is vulnerable to Meltdown or not (AMD CPU's aren't) would fail on these older CPU's, resulting in a failure to boot.

I have applied the patches on my Ryzen system without any negative side effects in terms of stability or performance.

• Upvote 2

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP