Sign in to follow this  
Byrna

Last 757 delivered

Guest wkzzo

The last 757 flew away yesterday ,it was number 1050 delivered to shanghai airlines. Sad to see it go.

Oh well. I'm not a pilot but have seen many real-life pilots and other aviation professionals commenting on the sheer power and take-off and climb performance and over-weight tolerance ability of the 757.Was it the operating costs of the airplane which finally ended its life, as with all other older commercial jets?John

Well, I'd say over 1000 would be termed a success. Congratulations Boeing.aopa.gif" border="0" alt="Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest ThrottleUp

------------------------------------------------------------------------Was it the operating costs of the airplane which finally ended its life, as with all other older commercial jets?------------------------------------------------------------------------From CNN:Boeing in late 2003 decided to end 757 production because the increased capabilities of the newest 737s and the potential of the all-new Boeing 787 fulfill the 757 market's needs. The 757 fleet worldwide has flown more than 35 million hours, which is equivalent to one airplane flying continuously for 4,000 years.

I had a first-hand experience this past January to see several of them taking off and landing at the relatively shortfield runway at St-Maarten Princess Juliana airport (SXM/TNCM) and video-taped them! The runway is only 7550 ft. but I can see why the 757 is hailed for its take-off performance for it took approximately 2/3 of the runway to lift-off. Of course, I don't know its GTOW.John