Sign in to follow this  
Wink207

Heading Select Knob

Hi all:

A question on the Heading Select knob. There are two parts to this control. The larger knob is the heading select control. Rotating that control when the AP is in heading select mode causes the aircraft to turn to the selected heading. The inner knob controls the bank angle. There does not appear to be an "automatic" setting for the bank angle that would enable the AP to decide how much bank angle is needed for each turn. Is that correct and if so does the PF need to select bank angle continuously during the flight? Or does the AP do so automatically? Is there any speed restriction on bank angle? I don't see this discussed in the docs.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Wink207 said:

There does not appear to be an "automatic" setting for the bank angle that would enable the AP to decide how much bank angle is needed for each turn. Is that correct and if so does the PF need to select bank angle continuously during the flight? Or does the AP do so automatically? Is there any speed restriction on bank angle? I don't see this discussed in the docs.

Thanks

This is a old old airplane.  Something along the lines of 2nd generation automation would be my guess.  There is no Auto.  You are the computer.  The documentation covers the proper usage of the bank selector and is actually a pretty important setting to get right.  Don't want to stall on departure now do we hehe.  Settings are discussed in the procedure guide and Procedures and Techniques.

Procedures Guide page 14, 51  P&T Page 1 & 4......read read read

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Note that Bank Angle Limit Selector selects bank limit only in certain modes (e.g. in NAV the maximum bank is automatically limited by the FMS computations).

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

Ah, thank you Michele. That's what I expected but had not found in the docs. I don't have the "Procedures Guide" as Brian says above. Gotta go find it.

Rick

9 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

This is a old old airplane.  Something along the lines of 2nd generation automation would be my guess.  There is no Auto.  You are the computer.  The documentation covers the proper usage of the bank selector and is actually a pretty important setting to get right.  Don't want to stall on departure now do we hehe.  Settings are discussed in the procedure guide and Procedures and Techniques.

Procedures Guide page 14, 51  P&T Page 1 & 4......read read read

Brian:

Could you please point me to these docs? I do not have them nor can I find them on the MADDOGX web page.

Thanks

Rick

Check in the Operation Manual Vol 2, Checklist, you will find expanded normal procedures which explain also how and when to set the bank limiter.

In the same Volume you will find the Procedures and Techniques.

They are in the Maddog docs folder.

Edited by Meekg

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif