Sign in to follow this  
timers15

OMG the trees!

I'm sure everyone knows about this but I thought it was soooo cool.  The East Coast is having severe winds right now, so I figured it was a great time to go flying.

You can imagine my surprise when landing the TREES were blowing in the wind!!

Sorry I'd no idea this was in 4.2 and you can imagine the surprise!

7 minutes ago, timers15 said:

Sorry I'd no idea this was in 4.2 and you can imagine the surprise!

This was in 4.0, it's not new ... actually it was introduced in V3.x ... they are called SpeedTrees.  V4.0 allows you to select from SpeedTree usage to standard X tree usage.  The only aspect of SpeedTrees I don't like is they are more spares and less "full" and do come with an FPS hit.

But glad you enjoyed them, it's one of those features that can be improved as hardware performance increases over time.

Cheers, Rob

Rob,

Without divulging any LM trade secrets, is it possible to increase the density setting when using Speedtrees or is the difference in densities between the stick figure theater trees and Speedtrees tied to the autogen definitions? At some point the cryptocurrency miners will give up and nVidia will release faster video cards. Thanks. 

Jay

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Rob,

Without divulging any LM trade secrets, is it possible to increase the density setting when using Speedtrees or is the difference in densities between the stick figure theater trees and Speedtrees tied to the autogen definitions? At some point the cryptocurrency miners will give up and nVidia will release faster video cards. Thanks. 

Jay

Better yet, the marker will be flooded with used 1080ti's.  Of course, they may have been overclocked and damaged. But at $10 a pop just buy several. :)

Well, I had stopped at P3D 2.X and finally jumped to 4.0. It's a blast to realize the sim is doing something I never knew about.

Lost a 110 ft tall oak tree here this afternoon in Eastern Maryland. 31" diameter near the base.  Uprooted.  It took down a nice sized birch tree with it when it fell.  Thought it was an earthquake.  Luckily it fell parallel to the house.  Will post a photo tomorrow.

Not a fun day.  KESN, 8 miles SE of here. has reported continuous winds over 32 with gusts as high as 68.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere