Sign in to follow this  
boswell254

Uninstalled Nvidia drivers now monitor not recognised

I had a problem with the latest Nvidia driver and uninstalled rather than rolled back as I wanted to use an older version. Now my PC will not recognise the monitor so I have a blank screen.

i have W10 and cannot find a way to activate the monitor. Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Adrian 

15 minutes ago, boswell254 said:

I had a problem with the latest Nvidia driver and uninstalled rather than rolled back as I wanted to use an older version. Now my PC will not recognise the monitor so I have a blank screen.

i have W10 and cannot find a way to activate the monitor. Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Adrian 

Hey Adrian. I had this issue a while back. I know it's scarry not being able to view anything. 

Firstly start off by trying to boot into safe mode with networking. You should be able to reinstall the drivers then. 

Secondly try plugging into your motherboards hdmi or vga port if you have one. 

Hope that helps! 

Clinton Royston Fernandes.

Vabb-Mumbai India.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

i can’t boot into safe mode as I can’t access the screen at all. I will  try what you suggest re plugging in another cable.

thanks for the help

11 hours ago, boswell254 said:

Now my PC will not recognise the monitor so I have a blank screen.

Does the screen work during the initial boot sequence? If not, your problem has nothing to do with the NVIDIA drivers.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

10 hours ago, boswell254 said:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

i can’t boot into safe mode as I can’t access the screen at all. I will  try what you suggest re plugging in another cable.

thanks for the help

Most welcome. Let us know what happens. If you're not seeing any boot or post when turning the pc on. There would be other issues as well. 

Clinton Royston Fernandes.

Vabb-Mumbai India.

A few suggestions

1.  Assume you've tried turning the monitor off and then on

2.  Try a different port on the GPU (if you have multiple ports specific to you monitor)

3.  Move the GPU to a different PCIe slot 

Cheers, Rob.

All

i removed the CMOS battery and reinstalled it and now I have my monitor back! I’m new to W10 and now realise I have to be much more careful about what I mess around with.

in W7 if I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers the system gave me back the display with its generic driver. That doesn’t seem to be the case with W 10!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It’s much appreciated.

regards

Adrian

19 hours ago, boswell254 said:

in W7 if I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers the system gave me back the display with its generic driver. That doesn’t seem to be the case with W 10!

This is still the case in Windows 10. Whenever I update my graphics drivers in Windows 10 I always uninstall the old drivers first, reboot back into Windows (which automatically uses the generic driver) then install the new NVIDIA drivers using the clean install option.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

I always uninstall the old drivers first,

I have just the opposite approach. I just let Win10 and Nvidia do their automatic installs. 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

7 hours ago, Bluestar said:

I have just the opposite approach. I just let Win10 and Nvidia do their automatic installs. 

I used to do that as well until I had a problem (it was some time ago). Now I always uninstall first just to be safe.