Sign in to follow this  
stampee

washed out display with projector.

Hi all:I have a p3d 4.1 on a projector displayed on an actual projector screen. While flying, the display always has a washed out look, like to much white, very little contrast. Going into nvidia settings, while p3d is running I select desktop color correction and the display looks great, depending on what adjustments i use. going back into p3d the display looks fine, until I select full screen. then it goes back to the washed out look. toggling between full screen and window screen, it remains washed out looking. back to nvidia, and moving the contrast slide just a tiny bit, and p3d looks great again, until I go to full screen mode, then it goes back to washed out again. I tried this with hdr on and off.

Also in nvidia I tried selecting, choose how color is set, both application controlled and nvidia controlled. it did not help.

windows 7 

I am using a 1060gti and an elephas projector. I am on driver 388.13  

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

-stampee

Edited by stampee

Try a monitor, if you can, and see if it does it then.

Thank you. I updated to the latest nvidia driver and now things work properly. Who knows what lurks in the hearts of computers.

-Stampee

Well.. the problem is back as bad as ever.

I do not know what else to do. Maybe the video card is bad? Its odd, just moving a slider in nvidia control panel fixes the problem. but it wont stay, toggling window full screen mode in p3d brings the washed out display problem back. I also tried p3d version 3 and it does the same thing.

I updated nvidia to the latest drivers. 391.01  and I swear it worked for about a week. no color issues. Now they have come back again with a vengeance. I also tried p3d version 3 and it does the same thing. Also in web browsers and the desktop itself, the colors will wash out to mostly all white, then I am forced to select nvidia display inspector, move any of the 3 color sliders a very tiny amount and the color comes back.

I run windows 7 on a small monitor and my main is an elephas projector. I tried moving the hdmi cable to another port on the video card to no avail. I went into windows color calibration and selected the check box to use other programs color settings to no avail.

rebooting does not help. I went to program files/nvidia and set nvcplui.exe to run as adminstrator. that did not help either.

Its like windows itself, or some virus or who knows what, keeps setting my video colors back to this washed out looking mess.

Any advice would be appreciated, this is driving me nuts.

I have been using projectors for more than fifteen years for my sim now. My present projector is an Epson HD and it has several color modes (five in total: cinema, dynamic, Living Room, Natural, XV Color, I use Cinema which is softer for the eyes), I dont know your brand of projector so I cannot offer a suggestion on your particular device. Is your projector identified (by name) by your Nvidia control panel?

I am using the following settings in the Nvidia Control Panel:

Adjust display color settings  page:

1/ Display is identified by name (Seiko/Epson),

2/ Choose how color is set: I have  "Other applications control color settings" selected, Colour channels: All channels, Brightness 50%, Contrast 50%, Gamma 1.00

3/ Apply following enhancements: Digital vibrance: 50%, Hue: 0°, reference image: 1

Content type reported to the display: Auto select

On the Change Display Resolution page:

1/ Proper identification of your monitor

2/ Choose the resolution: Connection HDMI-HDTV   1080p 1920 x 1080 (native) Refresh rate 60Hz

3/ Apply the following colour settings: Use Nvidia colour settings Highest 32 bits, output colour depth 12 bps, Output colour format RGB, Output dynamic range: Limited

I dont know if the above will help you but it gives me a perfectly balanced image quality and I certainly dont have any whitish display as you mentioned, it seems brightness and contrast are off in your case, play with those, starting with brightness (not too high, think about your eyes!) and then refine with contrast.

Good luck.

Thank you Jean Claude: When I select other applications control color, I cannot adjust the color sliders. It does not give me the option to move them.

Nvidia does report a name for my projector and under resolution it comes back with the correct native resolution as well.

It all is very odd the way my colors are jumping around like this.

"Other applications control color", refers to the projector itself controlling the color?

-stampee

Good morning Stampee,

What you report is normal, if you select what I have mentioned on my Nvidia Control Panel, you cannot control colours any more, I only indicated the values I see on my screen so that you may compare with yours (they should be the same) but you can't move the sliders since your colours will be controlled by the applications, i.e. P3D in this case. With your projector, I would recommend you find the neutral settings and take it from there, but having too many variables (projector + PC + Applications) will make it very difficult to find the proper balance. If you freeze your NCP values, put your projector on neutral settings, see what it does to your P3D, and if it gets you back to where you were, use your projector settings without touching your NCP. That's the way I would go about this. Good luck!

Jean-Claude: I have it working nicely now. I ignored the nvidia setting. I selected the other applications control color setting, then adjusted my projector to look nice. I am very happy with the results. I can now select window or full screen prepar3d and nothing changes. Also now browsers and other applications stay correct as well.

I am not certain I have every color and gamma tuned according to hoyle, but my display is 90% better then it was.

This was a major stumbling block for me, and I knew i could not go to multi projectors until I solved this terrible issue.

My projector is only 1280 x 768. But... I was thinking of two of them someday to double my resolution over the same size screen basically.

Also... this was my first projector, and I rather wanted to start off cheaply and grow.

Thanks again.

-Stampee

Glad you are now happy with your settings and results!

I am waiting for the Nvidia Volta release (next month?) to buy a new 4K projector, there are many on the market to chose from.

Using a projector for our simulation is - in my view - the best way to create full immersion since the image we have is real life size, in addition this is much kinder to our eyes than those LCD screens!

Have a great week-end!.