Sign in to follow this  
elche

PA38 Tomahawk

Anyone know of a freeware FS2004 model? Can't locate one anywhere.Thanks,Martin

Carenado had one. Don't remember the link. It was an old version, I think FS2000/02 ?? so a lot of its animations don't work.

Have a great Day/Night where ever you are! :-wave

http://www.3dflite.com/dac/img/BANNER1.gif Student Pilot - YSBKC152/Tomahawk/Warrior/Archer/Duchess66.3 hrs Total

Just Flight do one thats part of their Flying Club CD, which you can get individually from their Download Shop. Its not freeware but it's reasonably cheap.http://www.justflight.com/

Harv.png?dl=1

Yes, I did notice the Just Flight - I'll have another look at their download shop, but have spent SO much on AVSIM payware FS9 in the past month or so already (All of FScene, Ground Environment, Flight Environment, Active Sky ...) I'm trying to pull my horns in a bit ..Had my first real-world piloting experience today (in a PA38 Tomahawk), hence the interest...Thanks,M.

"have spent SO much on AVSIM payware"... Why did I write AVSIM??? "FS" I meant, though the two are virtually synonymous these days, I know!M. :-)

There's a free trial download - hadn't seen that. A/C works for one month (not sure what happens after that!), so I can see how I like it. Thanks again.M.

And funnily enough i have my first trial lesson in a Tomahawk next week, which is also the reason i bought it :)

Harv.png?dl=1

I purchased Just Flights Tommy when it first came out, and found it to be ok. The real Tommy is alot less stable than in the sim, but Rob Young (I'm pretty sure he's done the air file) has done a good job of it. It flies right on the numbers - maybe alittle too well :( .Instruments are FS9 default, textures are not all that great, and I believe you can only install it 3 times, then you have to pay a fee of some sort.I believe I have only 1 installation left lolI have around 17hrs in the Tomahawk, and completed all my basic training in it before moving onto the Warrior/Archer. Having recently flown a Cessna 152 - I can honestly tell you (many will disagree) that the 152 is a joy to fly, but the Tommy will make a better pilot out of you!It's a great little plane!!Good luck with your flight next week!!

http://www.3dflite.com/dac/img/BANNER1.gif Student Pilot - YSBKC152/Tomahawk/Warrior/Archer/Duchess66.3 hrs Total

Yes, have a great flight next week. I certainly did today - and I don't think it will be long before I am going back for more. I thought the PA38 to be a very good choice of first plane to fly - I was a little surprised in fact at how easy it was to control: nice, fine response. The only thing I'd say to watch out for is that it had a tendancy to 'enjoy itself' when banking: that's to say, once I got to a certain bank angle, it seemed happy to continue on tipping over and I had to pull it (gently) back so as to maintain a comfortable bank angle - I soon got used to it though.The Just Flight Tomahawk says something about it not working after 30 days - not sure how it is self de-activated. I'll wait and see. M.

I forgot to mention it on my other reply... Congratulatins on your first flight!! Its a great feeling isn't it?The Just Flight deactivates (if i remember correctly) by changing it's model to a crossed out red circle (much like the no somking sign, with out the cigarette).Also if you install it while running FS, it wont allow you to load the plane until you restart FS. Theres a DLL file installed into your C drive under Just Flight folder, if you remove this file (as i accidentally did once when cleaning out my drive) you will not be able to use the Tommy, and will have to re-intsall it all over again - and of course you will lose 1 of 3 allowable installations.I love flying the PA-38. I've really gotten back into doing steep turns at the moment (lots of fun!!) and the Tommy can't handle them too well so I usually take out an Archer. One other thing about this plane is that it is really hard to trim out, it required constant adjustments. It also likes to dance around its Normal axis in turbulance (Dances around like a TECHNO FREAK - all over the place! :( )

Yes, I enjoy this plane too. I even used the 'mug swap' utility that came with it to put my own face onto the pilot - just like yesterday! How sad is that?!Actually, I spend 95% of my FS time at 35000' in Boeings and Airbuses, and although I dare say that will still be my chief thrill, I do see how much I am missing, having spent all my FS flying time in the apst 24 hours at 3000' and below - especially with all those gorgeous scenery enhancements I've installed. The area around Farnborough looks, well, pretty much as it did yesterday from the air, and you can't say fairer than that!Martin

BTW - when you say that this plane needs constant trimming adjustments, I sssume you mean the VF FS model? The real-world plane I flew in yesterday didn't need any trimming at all after take-off..M.

I fly the Tomahawk in real life and personally find the JF one not too good. The virtual cockpit is not up to todays standards which ruins the immersion factor.. for me anyway.The real one however, great aircraft :) Having some hours in C150s I prefer the Tomahawk.. and it is certainly less forgiving than the 150 ;)

"BTW - when you say that this plane needs constant trimming adjustments, I sssume you mean the VF FS model? The real-world plane I flew in yesterday didn't need any trimming at all after take-off.."Nope, the real one. I don't mean big adjustments, but little tiny ones. I like to trim to fly hands-off, and the Tomahawk doesn't allow for much of that. It either needs a hand on the yoke making small adjustments on pitch, or a hand on the trim wheel doing the same.A few weeks ago I started flying the 152 just to get the feeling of a high wing before I jump into the Partenavia (and because its only $100 p/h :( ). This plane needs very little trim at all. Even for gliding, you just set the trim all the way down and it will hold 60 knots with no need to adjust pitch. The only way to get this in a Tomahawk is to fly in perfect conditions (i.e. Nil winds).Don't get me wrong, I really like the Tomahawk, and I think it's an excellent trainer. It has a heavier feel than most basic trainers; it has a very abrupt and nasty spin characteristic that can scare anyone silly, and it prepares you quite well for the next step into larger aeroplanes, which is why I like it so much.

Hmmm: once the trim was set we never needed to touch it again. I was a bit surpprised and even mentioned it to the instructor. He said I should feel free to play around with the trim, but that it would be fine as it was. I didn't bother 'playing around with it' and we didn't need to touch the wheel at all.. Maybe one Tomahawk is slightly different from another??"it has a very abrupt and nasty spin characteristic".. I think I felt the beginnings of that - got a bit of a shock at one point but recovered OK (thanks, FS9 !) and soon 'got the feel' of the controls. Nice little plane all told, I thought. M.