Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Weather Conditions

Can someone confirm what weather conditions are modeled in P3d when using Active Sky?  I know obviously wind, turbulence, clouds, storms are in the sim, but I never quite knew if rain caused wet runways, snow causing slick runways, etc..  How about icing in clouds?   I have GSX and know that in certain situations they will suggest de-icing fluid, but I wasn't sure if that was because icing actually existed in the sim or if it was just for fun.  So I guess my question is, what weather conditions effect the flight modeling in the sim?  Or, is there something that you can add to the sim to get different conditions? 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

I am under the impression that icing, etc is not simulated.  Can you confirm?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Never tested icing in P3D, but it's natively modelled in FSX, so I suppose it was brought into P3D ( ? )

It's not up to the weather generator / injector to "create" the ice effects. It's only responsibility is to forward the weather conditions, observed or forecast to the sim or add-on aircraft, which will then use it's own system to give rise to the simulation of ice accumulation, etc...

Some more sophisticated add-ons simulate icing effects in the aircraft wings, engine nacelles, pitot, etc...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Ok... icing exists... just not visually.  The visual element would require that the 3D modeler create visuals on their 3D model for icing.  However, under icing conditions the aircraft's weight will increase and the wing's performance will degrade.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

31 minutes ago, WarpD said:

Ok... icing exists... just not visually.  The visual element would require that the 3D modeler create visuals on their 3D model for icing. 

Which is done on the Majestic Q400! And not just 'on' or 'off' but the amount of ice varies. I suppose it is one of the only planes who has this...?

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Never tested icing in P3D, but it's natively modelled in FSX, so I suppose it was brought into P3D ( ? )

It's not up to the weather generator / injector to "create" the ice effects. It's only responsibility is to forward the weather conditions, observed or forecast to the sim or add-on aircraft, which will then use it's own system to give rise to the simulation of ice accumulation, etc...

Some more sophisticated add-ons simulate icing effects in the aircraft wings, engine nacelles, pitot, etc...

What sophisticated addons are there?

4 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

What sophisticated addons are there?

A2A are those I recall having it, as well as the Q-400 as Jeroen mentioned, and in the past I used some add-ons ( back in FSX time ) but I no longer recall exactly which.

But in it's most basic form, any add-on can have ice built on its wing surfaces and pitot icing, and since fs9...

It's even more effectively modelled than in X-Plane, where it's accumulation pace  is ridiculously made proportional to the aircraft area... making a 744 getting totally "iced" a lot faster than the C172 :-/

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...