Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

FSX freezing when you switch windows

Hi

I'm trying to get started with FSX and I'm having trouble switching between FSX and another Window (such as a browser). I can use ALT+TAB as you would normally to come out of FSX, and the icon remains in the task bar at the bottom of the screen, but when I try to go back in to FSX, it doesn't normally work.

I have tried ALT+TAB, right-clicking on the icon and selecting FSX, but nothing happens.  When I look in my Tasks list on the PC, it does say that FSX is running, but the option to switch to it is greyed out.

This means I have to kill FSX. It is not useful when you are using SimBrief and you have to get some of the data from there to enter into the FMC!  I noticed that FSX doesn't seem to run as a standard Windows window - perhaps getting it to do so would help stop the problem.

I would appreciate it it if anyone could help - and I reckon a lot of people have come across this issue.  BTW, I am running Windows10 with the Steam edition of FSX.

I desperate hope!

Gary

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Hi Gary

No guarantees that these suggestions will work but worth a try.

1. Make sure that "Settings\General\Pause on task switch" is unticked if you want FSX:SE to keep running when you switch window.
2. My former PC setup used to suffer from your issue and I found that selecting the FSX:SE icon on the taskbar and then selecting ALT+ENTER brought the simulator back in to view. (ALT+ENTER is switching between full screen mode and windowed mode.)
3. Also, if you are running two monitors (not sure if you are) then make sure that the resolution settings are set properly for each screen. You can do that via "Settings\Graphics" and checking that the Device parameters are appropriate and correct.

It will be something simple, it usually is with FSX: the trick is knowing what to check and where to look. Good luck.

Best regards

Rupert

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go! 

Gary

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

I never use the Alt-Tab to minimize as I’ve found it troublesome sometimes.

I just press the Alt key until the drop menu header appears and then using the mouse hit the minimize icon. Seems to always work ok for me doing it that way.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:
15 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I never use the Alt-Tab to minimize as I’ve found it troublesome sometimes.

I just press the Alt key until the drop menu header appears and then using the mouse hit the minimize icon. Seems to always work ok for me doing it that way.

When I use the Alt key, I do get the menu appearing at the top, but no Maximise, or Minimise, or key to make it into a Window.

Gary

Gaz on Facebook

1 hour ago, CB_Pilot said:

Hi Gary

No guarantees that these suggestions will work but worth a try.

1. Make sure that "Settings\General\Pause on task switch" is unticked if you want FSX:SE to keep running when you switch window.
2. My former PC setup used to suffer from your issue and I found that selecting the FSX:SE icon on the taskbar and then selecting ALT+ENTER brought the simulator back in to view. (ALT+ENTER is switching between full screen mode and windowed mode.)
3. Also, if you are running two monitors (not sure if you are) then make sure that the resolution settings are set properly for each screen. You can do that via "Settings\Graphics" and checking that the Device parameters are appropriate and correct.

It will be something simple, it usually is with FSX: the trick is knowing what to check and where to look. Good luck.

CB_Pilot,

You have completely solved my problem! The Alt+Enter fixed the whole issue... 

I really appreciate it.

Gary

Gaz on Facebook

1 hour ago, Gary McCluskey said:

Gary, you don’t see the boxes on the top right when you hit the Alt key? I put an arrow pointing to them.

Btw, when you quote someone, don’t reply inside the quote, reply outside the quote, it’s easier to read.

88C3F1A3-5C03-447F-8936-A99D6263166C.jpeg

56 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Gary, you don’t see the boxes on the top right when you hit the Alt key? I put an arrow pointing to them.

I have a screenshot of what I see here.  There may be a menu when I hit the Alt key, but as I said, no Min or Max buttons on the right.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yG5d6nM2kWxVcp2r7

Gaz on Facebook

1 hour ago, Gary McCluskey said:

I have a screenshot of what I see here.  There may be a menu when I hit the Alt key, but as I said, no Min or Max buttons on the right.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yG5d6nM2kWxVcp2r7

Hmm, that’s weird. Could be a variance due to operating systems, OS set up and version of FSX that you’re using.

I’m using Win 7 64, FSX SP2 and have the OS set a certain way. 

Perhaps if you’re using FSX-SE on Win 10 those buttons are gone.

Anyway, as long as you got it solved that’s all that matters.

13 hours ago, Gary McCluskey said:

CB_Pilot,

You have completely solved my problem! The Alt+Enter fixed the whole issue... 

I really appreciate it.

Gary

You’re welcome Gary. AVSIM has been a huge help to me over the years so I’m glad I can also help you.

Enjoy that next flight!

• Like 1

Best regards

Rupert

Well thanks for this, it's really helped.

Actually, I do think it may be an operating system thing (or related to it being the Steam edition). The bar at the top of the screen on your screenshot looks very different to mine.

Thanks again, Gary

Gaz on Facebook