Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Saitek Pro Yoke / Throttle instead of Honeycomb kit

Well my two new Logitech throttle quadrants have arrived and have replaced the old Saitek ones.

Whilst it’s nice to have smooth axes with no spiking I am disappointed in the build quality. The metal construction of the Saitek axes has been replaced by plastic and the tension is nowhere near as stiff as the older ones.

The detects are easier to engage because of the reduced build quality. Everything else is the same. I paid less for the Logitech quadrant than for my 9 year-old Saiteks so they have definitely scrimped on build quality.

Still, if the Honeycomb kit is out in 6 months and reviews are encouraging I’ll probably dip my toe and these will end up for sale at my local FS meeting. For now, they’re sufficient for my flights.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Folks,

While I've been watching the Honeycomb stuff with interest - this is a pretty nice throttle that I've used for many years - on my second one I think...

Seems simpler than some of the other solutions discussed here (it's plastic but of good quality) CH Products:

ch_throttle_quad_1_1.jpg

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Scott, I’ve looked at the CH stuff in the past but the throttle quadrant never did much for me. I’m sure the build quality will be a lot better but it’s the lack of decent movement with those axes that puts me off. The Logitech is definitely better in that regard.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Yep - understood - the quality is what originally attracted me to CH - been using them since game port days - but it's very much a subjective choice... Plus today - they've dropped Win10 support for a very robust programming/configuration tool (CH Control Manager) - that would allow you to do some pretty sophisticated things with their products...

Regards,

Scott 

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Scott,

I started with a CH VPP in the early 90s before moving on to the next gen yoke. But the plastic elevator made for sticky movement so when I came across the Saitek in 2007 with its steel tube I made the switch.

But don't you use FSUIPC for programming buttons etc? Surely better than CH stuff?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, very interesting you went with a new Saitek/Logitech setup as I'm now thinking the same. Honeycomb is no longer a consideration. Though a lot of the discussion here has been on throttles, (happy with my CH quadrant for now) I'm considering the ProFlight yoke. How are you liking the new yoke? Never had one though they did feel pretty decent at FS Expo, and I was a bit surprised at how much better it was than my decade old CH. 

Edited by NismoRR

2 hours ago, NismoRR said:

Ray, very interesting you went with a new Saitek/Logitech setup as I'm now thinking the same. Honeycomb is no longer a consideration. Though a lot of the discussion here has been on throttles, (happy with my CH quadrant for now) I'm considering the ProFlight yoke. How are you liking the new yoke? Never had one though they did feel pretty decent at FS Expo, and I was a bit surprised at how much better it was than my decade old CH. 

I decided not to change the yoke as it is still okay with no spiking. It's still a decent yoke (for the money) and whilst not in the same class as PFC I don't use it for long as most of my flying is with the a/p engaged.

But I originally thought I had to have a throttle quadrant with a PS/2 connector as well as one with USB. I didn't think two USB quadrants would be recognised by Windows / FSUIPC.

But they are so for £105 I now have two new Logitech throttle quadrants with my original Saitek yoke.

I'm going to the Lelystad show in November where many high quality manufacturers show their kit. I might consider a new yoke there but first I want to see how the Honeycomb pans out.

I'm more interested in a high quality throttle quadrant as whilst the Logitechs are okay there is no friction in the levers and they feel like toys rather than serious kit. Throttletek looks nice but I'm not going to buy one until I've handled it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather