Sign in to follow this  
Lorby_SI

Using AiTrackerX for flying as a passenger

Hello @ll,

I received a couple of questions concerning my recent posts about how you fly as a passenger using AiTrackerX.

There are probably several ways, but here is how I do it:

-> Turn off crash detection in the sim! <-

1. I select an aircraft that I want to fly as a passenger in as my own vehicle in the simulator. For example a Carenado model, because they have nicely modeled passenger cabins.
  2. When the sim finishes loading and I am sitting in my cockpit, I use the flight planner in the sim to create a route that I want to fly on, and save it to a file.
  3. I move my aircaft to the departure airport (or use the flight planner option to do it for me)
  4. Now I start AiTracker X and connect it to the sim.
  5. Then I go to the "Dispatch AI" dialog and use the Plane Finder to select the same aircraft that I am sitting in to be my AI model (I could use any other AI aircraft too, in case that my flyable aircraft doesn't work well as AI - but the Carenados generally do)
  6. Now I dispatch that aircraft as AI using the flight plan that I created in step 2.
  7. When it shows up in the AiTracker X list, I select it and click "Follow AI"
  8. I select the "Pilot View" mode of AiTracker X, which puts me and my own aircraft in the same position as the AI
  9. Now I use the "Pilot View" parameters to lift my wheels slightly off the ground and move myself a little ahead of the AI
  10. That is bascically it. I have full freedom of movement in my own aircraft, while the AI behind me does the flying. My aircraft systems are slaved to those of the AI, so my engines, lights, gear, yoke, throttle, levers etc. operate in sync with what the AI is doing (if the model permits it) - I can't (and don't have to) take control of anything. I just kick back in my passenger seat and enjoy the flight.

For further advice or questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver - I had this working quite reliably in 4.2 using your procedure above but now in P3D 4.3 it crashes when changing parameters. The weird part is that cockpit view looks correct but when you look out the window at the wings, there are two wings superimposed vertically like a biplane. If you try to correct that with parameters it doesn't superimpose exactly and can crash to desktop.

Could you in your spare time just do a check of this in P3D 4.3 just to be sure it is working and not a problem my end?

Maybe I need to reinstall AITrackerX or something?

Thanks

Edited by glider1

4 minutes ago, glider1 said:

Hi Oliver - I had this working quite reliably in 4.2 using your procedure above but now in P3D 4.3 it crashes when changing parameters. The weird part is that cockpit view looks correct but when you look out the window at the wings, there are two wings. If you try to correct that with parameters it doesn't superimpose exactly and can crash to desktop.

Could you in your spare time just do a check of this in P3D 4.3 just to be sure it is working and not a problem my end?

Maybe I need to reinstall AITrackerX or something?

Thanks

Hello,

always bear in mind that there are actually TWO aircraft in this mode - you and the AI. You are not supposed to superimpose the AI, rather move your own aircraft away from it (to the front usually) far enough so you can't see it.

Crash: what exactly is crashing and when? AITX or P3D? If it is AITX, then there is a good chance that there is an error log in "C:\Users\...\Documents\AiTrackerX_P3D_V4 Files". If there is, please send the file to me via email.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Hi Lorby sorry about that P3D 4.3 CTD.

Thanks ok I get the concept now.

Nevertheless the param changes in pilot view are causing the P3D CTD not every time just most of the time.

Appreciate that you are busy.

26 minutes ago, glider1 said:

Nevertheless the param changes in pilot view are causing the P3D CTD not every time just most of the time.

Hi,

so P3D crashes when you change the Pilot View parameters? Wow, that's weird. Its not like changing those parameters is triggering something, it is just a number that changes. Any aircraft in particular or all of them?

Edit: Just ran a quick test with the default Beech 350 and the default Constellation, both worked as designed. I can change the Pliot View parameter "P" in any way I like, the model moves accordingly, and the sim doesn't crash on me.  - ??

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Ok thanks Oliver. I'll try to chase it down. Not sure what has changed in my system going from 4.2 -> 4.3. It is a caranedo phenom 100 with navigraph extension. This mode of flying is actually very useful for learning systems. You can do a flight as a copilot and physically interact with the glass cockpit and learn FMC etc while your pilot flies you somewhere..... at least you could in 4.2 in the same scenario.

10 minutes ago, glider1 said:

Ok thanks Oliver. I'll try to chase it down. Not sure what has changed in my system going from 4.2 -> 4.3. It is a caranedo phenom 100 with navigraph extension. This mode of flying is actually very useful for learning systems. You can do a flight as a copilot and physically interact with the glass cockpit and learn FMC etc while your pilot flies you somewhere..... at least you could in 4.2 in the same scenario.

A few random thoughts:

• Could it be something else that is crashing the sim, for examlpe a camera addon that doesn't like the position change?
  • Maybe it makes a difference what view you are using (VC, Locked Spot) while changing the parameters.
  • Try setting the parameters before you switch to Pilot View mode (2 feet up, a couple of dozen feet ahead, depending on the size of the aircraft).
  • Only the height parameter is really important - unless you lock the position, your aircraft will pull away from the AI automatically when it starts moving.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver

It is a complicated problem to pin down. Today no CTD for reasons I don't understand but I can induce one pretty easily. A couple of observations:

• I think center ATC think that the plane is being followed by another and will issue a traffic alert for aircraft less than 1nm 🙄
  • ATC stopped directing the plane during the flight. I had to end the session after 3 hours because the plane was way off course never going to make the dispatched destination. Probably a P3D ATC issue for AI planes. At least I learnt the aircraft systems it wasn't a waste.
  • AI doesn't seem to react to weather engine effects like turbulence etc?

What is really good about it is that you can learn the systems of the aircraft while they are all live enroute. The fuel levels update, the map updates, the gauges, FMS, lights etc. Much better than learning it on the ground while the plane is stationary. Not sure if fuel consumption figures are accurate probably not considering it is an AI flying. Boy they are rough pilots. No subtlety at all 🙂

1. Collision warning: yes, that is how it is. Using buffered instead of direct mode, ATC will not do this - but - in buffered mode your aircraft is in slew, and you can't hear ATC anyway AFAIK...
  2. ATC stopping to give directions is a very common occurence. You are just a prime witness now. Where it will always happen is, when you give the AI a VFR flight plan. Probably related to 1., the plane will not turn base and land, because you are too close.
  3. Not that I know of. I don't think that this is included in the AI object logic of the sim in any detail. Even crosswinds don't affect them like you would expect.

You will find many more funny occurences with AI - things that you never wanted to know about them. They have no survival instinct at all.

Best regards

• Like 1

LORBY-SI