Sign in to follow this  
heavyapproach

Friendly Panels LJ 45 Install into Repaints

Hi All

Wondering if anybody may have any insight regarding Friendly Panels Learjet 45 installation into repaints of the default Learjet 45

I currently have two repaints of the LJ 45 added to the default LJ 45's in FSX-SE....after unzipping and running the FP installer it did in fact create the two additional LJ 45's with the Friendly Panels installed (Anniversary Edition / Gold-Black) but failed to install into the two repaints....they remained with the default LJ 45 panel

After mistakenly attempting to move some of the FP panel files into the default LJ 45 panel thinking this was the correct way to install them into the repainted LJ 45's....I quickly discovered that not only was this not the correct way to do this....it seemed to have made a complete mess of the default and repainted LJ 45 panels to the point that I was forced to remove the Friendly Panels install completely....which led to a bigger issue of loosing both of the default LJ 45's as well as the two repaints....I was however able to recover the default LJ 45's and the two repaints by running the Steam File Integrity Checker which has brought me back to the original starting point of having the two default LJ 45's and the two repaints in working condition but with the default panels installed

So my question would be....is anybody aware of the Friendly Panel installer only creating and installing the new panels into the two additional LJ 45's in the default paint schemes (Anniversary Edition / Gold-Black)....or is there a procedure in order to have it create the two additional LJ 45's with the Friendly Panels installed....as well as installing it into the repainted LJ 45's?

I also noticed that the often discussed problem of not having any altitude / speed tape information displayed in the FP LJ 45 was present....I did run the Friendly Panels Learjet 45 Patch....but I believe this was directed more at correcting a bug in the EICAS gauge regarding the flaps and trim control display not functioning properly....not so much regarding the missing altitude / speed tape information not being displayed....but this is a secondary problem at this point that I will focus on more if I'm able to sort out the initial problem of not having the FP panels installing into the LJ 45 repaints

If anybody has any experience with the Friendly Panels LJ 45 and could offer any insight or direction with this issue....it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

heavyapproach

If I remember correctly from my FS9 days, Friendly Panels provides alternative 2D panels for the default aircraft and I did try the one for the Lear in FS9 way back in the day! I suspect that not very many simmers use 2D panels these days so you may be waiting a while for a response.

As far as I can recall, installing a Friendly Panel in FS9 created a new folder in the aircraft section which was named something like Lear45FP and the original default LJ remained unchanged in its own folder. If it does the same in FSX then you should see a Lear45 and a Lear45FP folder if you search your Sim Objects/Airplanes folder. I would guess that your 2 repaints will be in the original Lear 45 folder.

If you want to try something to resolve the issue and you are happy to fiddle around inside some of the FSX folders you could simply copy the texture files for the 2 repaints from the original Lear45 folder into the Lear45FP folder. Then you will also need to find the entries in the Lear45 aircraft.cfg file which correspond to the repaints and copy these over to the aircraft.cfg file in the Lear45FP. Hopefully the repaints will then have the new panels.

Remember before you do anything like this, particularly if you are unsure about what you are doing, you should make backup copies of everything and keep them available in case you need to restore things to their original state!

Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks for your response

I suspected that what you have suggested may possibly correct the issue that I've encountered with the FP LJ 45 repaints but wanted to wait and see if I could get some feedback from some others that have some experience with FP.....when in doubt ask somebody that has some experience with whatever the problem is

And I do understand what your saying regarding making back up copies of any config files before attempting any changes....I learned this the hard way quite some time ago....I'm still a little bit conflicted as to whether or not I'm going to use the FP mods....the default LJ 45 panel isn't terrible....but the FP mod definitely provided it with some added character and the FMC was a nice addition

I will advise you if I do go ahead with the FP installation and whether your advice regarding changing the texture locations and the config files was the solution to having the FP mods applied to the LJ 45 repaints

Thanks again for your response and providing some insight into a possible solution.....I appreciate it

Best Regards

Hi Bill

Just to follow up regarding your suggestion for installing the FP LJ45 Panels into the LJ45 repaints and apologies for the very delayed response

I have attempted every possible variation I can think of for your suggestion of simply installing the repaint textures into the Lear45FP folder and and editing the config file to reflect the repaints which would seem like the most logical way of going about this.....and with some small changes to the naming of the variations this did appear to work and the repaints were displayed in the aircraft selection with the FP designations

Unfortunately upon further inspection....it appears that this will only apply the FP mod to the repaints in the main forward facing display window in the 2D cockpit view....45 and 90 degree window views of the panel are completely blacked out....the FP gauges are displayed....but the surrounding area around the gauges are blacked out....and in the 3D cockpit view it's the same condition....gauges displayed but all other panel surroundings are blacked out

After much experimenting....it appears the only way I'm able to apply the FP mod to the repaints and achieve full functionality with regard to the areas surrounding the gauges being fully displayed in both  the 2D and 3D cockpit views....is to completely replace the panel file in the default Learjet45 file....with the panel file from the Learjet45FP file....which does work....but in effect converts all the LJ45 panels....all default and repaints....over to the FP configuration.....when what I was really hoping to achieve was to have variants of both both panels

So it seems that I have the FP variants of the Anniversary Edition and the Black/Gold LJ45....along with the default FSX-SE versions....and the two repaints....but I think I'm out of luck as far as getting the FP mod installed into the repaints....unless I'm willing to convert all over to the FP configuration

Thanks again for your suggestion regarding this Bill.....I appreciate it

Best Regards